Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

VPNs

Do you use a VPN?

If so which one do you use, why do you use it and why would you recommend it?

I'm currently considering signing up to a VPN. I haven't used one in ages and am currently leaning towards NordVPN as they consistently score highest in every review and comparison site, and they have been well known for years.

But what is your experience of using a VPN?

Until very recently bandwidth coniderations for something remote wasn't something I would factor in when looking to subscribe to any online service. But do any VPNs have limits on their server bandwidth? I want service that can provide 1Gbps download speeds.

The other thing I'm considering using it for is streaming services, to access programs not yet released in the UK on services such as US Netflix, Hula and Paramount+. In some reviews it states NordVPN does support access to US Netflix, but others say it doesn't always.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm considering one too....

My concern is will it affect my Ping when Gaming & could it cause LAG??

Could you have two Log on accounts on your PC whereby one account connects via VPN for naughty things & the other doesn't to get best gaming experience??
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I can tell now most provide a utility much like a software firewall that does all the work. If you want to be hidden behind it you active it, and if you want to be seen you deactivate it. They also support access using the VPN on Android.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    From what I can tell now most provide a utility much like a software firewall that does all the work. If you want to be hidden behind it you active it, and if you want to be seen you deactivate it. They also support access using the VPN on Android.
    But you have to go through one of their servers, two if you want extra encryption.

I see this as a Latency one way or anther.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    True, it would be impossible to not have some slight packet delay. But if you Google gaming VPNs there are some that are designed specifically for gaming that guarantee to leep latency low.

I'm not so interested in being behind a VPN for gaming as I would be using it more for downloading and for business data transfer.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why would you want to use a VPN for gaming?

Just connect 'normally' and then use your vpn stuff for distributing terabytes worth of linux isos (or whatever the kids call it these days)

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used CyberGhost VPN, it was good, I guess, but downloads were considerably slowed down, other stuff too, that's why I stopped using it again.

https://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_US/

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never used a VPN.

The closest thing I do is use Andrews & Arnold's L2TP service, which works kind-of like a VPN, but is unencrypted, so does not give you any added privacy. I use this to obtain IPv6 connectivity over connections which don't have any IPv6 at all, as well as getting a fixed IPv4 address.