ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have a pet or have you had one in the past?

We've had pets for some years now. Started out by adopting a hamster with the name Chanel. After her, we had two guinea pigs called Lotte and Lilje. Sadly these animals don't grow very old and it is very sad when they pass away. Now we have a dog called Texas, who is a mix between Papillon and Pommeranian. He is an active and playful fellow, full of energy. I usually have him with me to work, which is good company. How about you? Any pet owners here?
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Growing up we had loads of pets. And I've never been without at least one.

Very young we had 2 budgies a couple of guinea pigs and rabbits. Plus a fish pond. We had loads of rabbits over the years. At one point 13 at once. At school I had a couple of gerbils that lived a few years, then a couple of Hamsters. But haven't kept any rodents since then.

but the main pet I've always had are dogs my whole life.

First was a Jack Russell called Pickle when I was 4. He lived to be 18. I then got a second Jack Russell called Barney who was a great dog. Sadly he got leukaemia and only lived to be 13. At the same time my dad also keeps Black Labradors as gun dogs so really I had multiple pet dogs at once, but my Jack Russell's were more mine. My dad has had 2 black labs most of the time, so one younger and training as the other was getting older. He still has 2 called Ivy and Treacle. Ivy was a puppy just before I left home and is now about 18 and very old. She hasn't long left but is always really happy to see me.

I didn't own a dog after leaving home because our old garden was too small. But since moving to my current house I now have a golden labrador called Willow who is now 5 years old. She's a lovely dog. A big softy.

I'd never owned cats but my wife did (she'd never had dogs). When we first lived together she had an older male cat called Tibby. When he died we got 2 sister cats from a rescue home. Maisie and Patch. Maisie was a lovely short hair grey tabby with very green eyes. The other a long haired tortoise shell who was a very grumpy horrible thing. But they had to come as a pair. We don't know how old they were, but they lived about 10 years. And after they died last year my son got a little kitten called Luna who is about a year old now. She's a nice little cat but does her own thing. Never sits in your lap. Only just about says hello and spends most time outside. She is a good mouser though and has caught about 20 to date.

We also have a garden pond that we recently renovated and smartened up, that has about 20 goldfish.I

We are considering getting some chickens at some point in the future.
    Last edited by Harrison; 31st October 2021 at 00:14.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    We've got two really good doggies, although they are both getting old now. They've got such lovely temperaments and are unbelievably tolerant of the kids

We also have one cat. There used to be two cats but one went missing. I was not bothered by this, as I didn't really want cats as well as dogs.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 1.03.54 pm.jpg

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Growing up we had loads of pets. And I've never been without at least one.

Very young we had 2 budgies a couple of guinea pigs and rabbits. Plus a fish pond. We had loads of rabbits over the years. At one point 13 at once. At school I had a couple of gerbils that lived a few years, then a couple of Hamsters. But haven't kept any rodents since then.

but the main pet I've always had are dogs my whole life.

First was a Jack Russell called Pickle when I was 4. He lived to be 18. I then got a second Jack Russell called Barney who was a great dog. Sadly he got leukaemia and only lived to be 13. At the same time my dad also keeps Black Labradors as gun dogs so really I had multiple pet dogs at once, but my Jack Russell's were more mine. My dad has had 2 black labs most of the time, so one younger and training as the other was getting older. He still has 2 called Ivy and Treacle. Ivy was a puppy just before I left home and is now about 18 and very old. She hasn't long left but is always really happy to see me.

I didn't own a dog after leaving home because our old garden was too small. But since moving to my current house I now have a golden labrador called Willow who is now 5 years old. She's a lovely dog. A big softy.

I'd never owned cats but my wife did (she'd never had dogs). When we first lived together she had an older male cat called Tibby. When he died we got 2 sister cats from a rescue home. Maisie and Patch. Maisie was a lovely short hair grey tabby with very green eyes. The other a long haired tortoise shell who was a very grumpy horrible thing. But they had to come as a pair. We don't know how old they were, but they lived about 10 years. And after they died last year my son got a little kitten called Luna who is about a year old now. She's a nice little cat but does her own thing. Never sits in your lap. Only just about says hello and spends most time outside. She is a good mouser though and has caught about 20 to date.

We also have a garden pond that we recently renovated and smartened up, that has about 20 goldfish.I

We are considering getting some chickens at some point in the future.
    Those golden labradors are lovely! How is it to have both a dog and a cat btw?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    We've got two really good doggies, although they are both getting old now. They've got such lovely temperaments and are unbelievably tolerant of the kids

We also have one cat. There used to be two cats but one went missing. I was not bothered by this, as I didn't really want cats as well as dogs.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 1.03.54 pm.jpg
    Nice dogs, JT! I will see if I can find a photo of Texas here to post.
    Classicamiga.com Moderator/Demoscene Admin
    Member of the Amiga demo group Void
    Admin of Old School Game Blog

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's fine having both. Bring a Labrador who's a big softy helps. Our old cats got on ok with the dog, but tended to tolerate her more then be friends. With the new kitten last year they are definitely friends. They go up to each other and say hello. The cat will walk up to thr dog and smoith herself against her. The dog can annoy her at times, stuffer her nose in her face when she's curled up asleep.

I've caught them both curled up next to each other a few times too.

Is funny when we tell the cat off because the dog will rush over and sort her out.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If we hear the sounds of cats scrapping in the garden, we release the hounds and they quickly sort it out, they really steam in and make a lot of noise.

It's like our cat has two big bodyguards, in a way.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never had as a kid, as my parents didn't allow, had some hamsters eventually when I was around 10 years old. I don't want pets, any breed, not my thing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Grew up on a friends farm @ weekends when a kid. - Had family dogs (Dachshund's) as a kid. - Great days seeing birth, caring for the young calves/foals/piglets/cats/dogs/chickens.

Vermin in a cage ends up smelling of piss after a while. - No thank you.

Divorce kinda got in the way of personally owning dogs as a married man. - Ex-Wife was a kept housewife but two young children was handful enough.

These days, Deb & I both work in different job sectors & it isn't fair leaving a dog on it's own all day.

Small dogs are easier to maintain & ok in the house. - I've been to peoples homes with two hairy breed things the size of Donkeys in their front room that stunk of Wet Dog & drooled/slobbered from their jowls all the time.... - Put the Donkey sized dogs in the Yard in its own kennel! - Go buy a F'king farm ffs!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have always owned dogs, but hate going into a house the stinks of dog. I know you can't always tell as easily when you own and live with them, but you can tell when it needs a clean. I also don't get how some owners assume it's ok for their dog to be in the room and all over you when visiting.