Thread: Windows 365

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Am I?

By it's very nature Emulation is mainly used to play old video games. As such users will have obtained some rom sets. Many games roms included will be commercial with existing copyrights still in place. So it remains a bit dodgy to download them. But most turn a blind eye, unless you are Nintendo.

But without emulation or the whole rom collector community we wouldn't now have such a great historical archive of old system software. We would have lost access to a lot of games over the years.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Last edited by Harrison; Today at 10:05.
    The jokes don't work very well when you edit the posts to correct the typos

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry. It's my OCD with typos. A lot appear in my posts because I tend to post via mobile using swipe typing and never read back what I've written before hitting post. Just can't leave them there.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was a wicked pun though, I have zero regrets

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    I'm not sure how it would work.
    I thought I would revisit this topic about Windows 365 as I've had chance to test it out finally.

As you know Windows 365 is a cloud based remote or virtual PC running Windows 10 or 11. It's configured running on a virtual cloud server, just like if you used cloud server hosting. When you subscribe to Windows 365 you can configure the virtual PC with the number of vCores, ram and storage available to you.

To access Windows 365 you can do this from any system using a web browser such as Edge or Firefox, just as you would if running the cloud version of Office 365. So you can use this method to access your cloud PC on iOS, Android, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Windows etc and it works surprisingly well. If you maximise the browser window it's just like you are running a real Windows 11 PC.

I tested this with Linux with a recent Ubuntu distro and it worked fine. My USB headphones refused to work though. There seems to be a BT issue between Linux and Windows 365 which could be annoying.

If you want to access Windows 365 from a Windows based PC then there are 3 ways. First of the Windows 365 App. This adds the cloud OS drsktop to your taskbar, making it like a virtual desktop on your PC. This is the highest level of direct and seemless integration and will be used by businesses.

The second method is the same as for other OSs, loading it via a web browser, and this works just like other OSs, except because you are running it on a Windows PC it gives better direct access to the hardware, such as webcams, Bluetooth etc because it is working thy same as the host and client so already knows everything.

The third method is to use remote desktop client, which is the long standing way for a Windows PC to log remorwly into another Windows PC and take control of it. This feels exactly the same, and it just feels the same as using the Windows 365 app.

Tube following is an interesting article I read about using Windows 365 with various OSs and the experience.

https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/...65-with-linux/

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, that makes sense.

But can use use it with Windows XP as the Host OS?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It wouldn't be the host OS, but client OS. And yes you can access it from any browser that supports it. Chrome the recommended one. Just depends on browser compatibility.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you subscribe to Windows 365 you can configure the virtual PC with the number of vCores, ram and storage available to you.
    What's the uberest high settings you can choose for that? Is there a pricing strata (ie if you pay more you can access more POWER?)

Can you run virtual machines on it? How many VMs deep could it go? Remember that video where someone ran virtual machines within virtual machines on their home PC and emulated a whole bunch of old OSs nested inside, until the machine crashed. I hope someone does that again.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Imagine if someone managed to create a virus that installed and ran constantly multiplying VMs on these cloud servers. It could bring down the whole of the M$ server farm. Although I will give them their due. M$ might not be the greatest at customer support or OS design in the punlic home sector, but they make most of their money from the business server and cloud market, and there they are far more robust.

Although it still makes me laugh a bit when I discovered that Apple exclusively use Google servers for all of their service hosting, including Apple Music and iOS cloud storage.

As for maximum configuration, I've not tried. I wonder if when you reach a certain point they start offering enterprise level VM hosting.