Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odin

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was tempted to get a RP2+, as I already own the original RP2. But with the Odin coming out I don't think I would use it much. Although the smaller size is good for putting in your pocket. The right slide stick is a bit annoying too, compared to a full analogue stick. The new frontend GUI is a massive improvement though.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Plus my Finnish girlfriend's name is Aija, pronounced the same

I need to get rid of some money, collecting a huge stash, but don't have a need for it. Being kind of stingy doesn't help. But sometimes I just think to buy now because perhaps later, with all the shit happening, you can't. Problem is that I have everything I need, meaning hi-fi, computer and electronic wise, so basically I only spend money on food and drinks. House is perfect, car is perfect, although I wanted to buy the Audi S7, but again, there's at the moment no need for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I was driving the Lotus, friend of mine has a top garage and some nice cars

Lux beer

Video here, how can I post this?

https://i.imgur.com/fPAoG5C.mp4

- - - Updated - - -

His latest acquisition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice DC.

I trust you drank the beer after you'd been out driving.... Yes?
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wish I had that problem of having too much money I didn't know what to do with.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Plus my Finnish girlfriend's name is Aija, pronounced the same

I need to get rid of some money, collecting a huge stash, but don't have a need for it. Being kind of stingy doesn't help. But sometimes I just think to buy now because perhaps later, with all the shit happening, you can't. Problem is that I have everything I need, meaning hi-fi, computer and electronic wise
    You should buy invest in a retro-tech buying-n-selling website. I hear Amibay could be bought.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    Very nice DC.

I trust you drank the beer after you'd been out driving.... Yes?
    Actually it was before Because we had to wait a bit before driving, battery was empty.

He is actually police officer here in Luxembourg, they make quite good money compared to other countries. But some years ago he started a company together with a friend where they only buy and sell fancy cars. Lately they didn't get along and now he owns it alone. Btw, he got the McLaren quite cheap, for 220.000€ and the new price was 330.000€ Problem is that you need quite a solid starting fund to start something like this, but he told me that he sells around 250 cars a year, so imagine you make only 10.000€ profit per car, that's quite something.

Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    You should buy invest in a retro-tech buying-n-selling website. I hear Amibay could be bought.
    True, but that involves work. Could ask Harrison though to help

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Back to Odin.

The Odin Lite is now released and the first backers and reviewers are receiving them.

The Lite uses different hardware making it cheaper, including a completely different chip. The initial belief was that with the cheaper chip and other differences it wouldn't be a capable as the Base,/Pro Odins. But in other regards it looks very similar. Case is near identical.

In the first full Youtube reviews there are a couple of notable things that are not as good. It's audio isn't as soon. Less bass, range and separation. Without comparing side by side you might never realise, but in one review with axmic near to each you could definitely tell the difference.

The next is the screen. The first preview batches of Lite had a screen near identical to the Pro. Good colours and great viewing angle. Apparently this will change from the next batch onwards for sloghtly cheaper panels that are less warm and more towards the blue. Probably to meet the cheaper price point, but could just be a screen sourcing issue. But the biggest negative is these new screens will draw more power so reduce battery life. For retro gaming this drops from 14h to 12h. And for Android games it can mean a drop from 6-7h form to 5h. So could mean all the difference. Personally even 5 hours is good for a day's gaming.

But that's nearly all of the negatives.

To the possitives in many of the side by side tests the Lite and Pro don't perform that differently, and surprisingly most emulators and games actually perform better in the Lite. Both can run N64 and Dreamcast era emulation at full speed 60fps at 2x and even 4x resolution. And both can cope with PSP at at least 2x. The Pro does offer more power here and can manage some at 4x, whilst the Lite had to drop to 2x to match fps.

For the next generation including Gamecube and PS2 they both run most things as well as current emulation can support. The Pro is slightly ahead on fps, but it isn't a big as expected. But manage Wii and DS emulation fine. But Switch emulation is currently a bit limited due to the emulator.

The area where the Lite wins the most is in battery life and temperature. The Lite runs around 46C with fan and 52C without. Whereas the Pro is more around 60C. So the Lite runs cooler and you can get away with not using the fan so it's silent.

And due to the lower power requirements of the Lite's CPU the battery lasts longer. Although as mentioned the Lite will be getting a more power hungry acreen that will reduce this a bit.

Finally the last negative. The Odin is an Android based handheld running current Android Apps and Ganes, as well as Android based emulators. If you are happy with that then the Lite is the better of the 2 to buy. But the hardware on the Pro/Base supports Windows 11, so you can run Windows on them, but not the Lite. And there are now Linux distros available for the Odin Pro that utilise the OSs and emulation frontends already seen in other handhelds such as those from Anbernic, so if you are a fan of EMUElec and others this might be important. The Lite's hardware doesn't support Windows or these Linux Distros.

So if you want a handheld that is capable of running Android, Linux and Windows, and don't mind it running a bit hotter, with shorter battery life, but better audio and possibly a better screen than spend a bit more for the Pro.

But if you are happy just to run Android apps and emulation, hang mine battery life, and dunt mind the slighly inferior audio and screen than go for the cheaper Lite.

So really buy the Lite unless you really need and want the Linux support. You won't notice thr audio and screen differences without owning both, and the better battery life and cooler running temps are a bonus too.

But if you already own a Pro/Base it isn't worth buying again.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the moment I’m fine with Android and LaunchBox. I was playing PS2 games yesterday for 3 hours, draining the battery for around 30% and I didn’t notice any negative temperature. You have to test PS2 games one by one and configure them individually to run well. Not all of them are. Tried all of the 5 Burnout games and they run fairly well, even with 2x but underclocked to 75%.

Don’t know if I would like to try Windows on it, as it’s the ARM Windows, plus I needed 4 weeks to fully setup my SD Card for Android (1TB completely full).

Gamecube runs perfectly with what I tested, as does DC, PSP and N64. Still have to try Wii, don’t think I tested it yet, but the Dolphin MMJR emulator is great.

DS runs great with Drastic and 3DS depends on the games, only tried Donkey Kong Country 3DS version, it runs fine, but definitely not at full speed. The Citra MMJ emulator is also great though.

Saturn is always a mixed bag, but I’m using Yaba Sanshiro 2 Pro with some tweaking and it runs fine.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I keep meaning to order an Odin, but I don't have enough time to be able to mess around and set one up at the moment. I'm planning on ordering one for the autumn. Although my Steam Deck pre-order should finally be available within the next month or so, and I'm itching to fully test the Steam Deck with emulation.

Did you see Ayn have been working on another new handheld, called the Loki? It looks very similar to the Odin but with be a Windows only version running an AMD Ryzen 6800U with 16GB ram and M2 storage.

https://www.ayntec.com/pages/loki-max

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I’ve been following the handheld scene for longer time now and I have to say that it’s quite difficult to keep up with all the releases, there’s just too many.