Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Steam Deck

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. That's the only thing about the Steam Deck I wish they had thought of and designed better. They support upgrading the built in SSD, but it's a more involving process. Maybe if they eventally design a Steam Deck 2 in the future.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I installed RetroBat now for emulation, but I have to go through every single ROMs install process again, as that uses gamelists, maybe I can use some from the RPi4, but my library got updated.

I wanted to go with LaunchBox but as I can't install every single game of that, PS2 f.ex. takes 1.9TB already, I will have to chose which games I want to use, thus having to edit xml files anyways, so it might even be easier or faster to just create the gamelists.

RetroBat covers everything plus it downloads any missing emulators by itself, like what I did now with RPCS3. And it uses EmulationStation which I know quite well as I'm using it on most of my other handhelds, although under Linux.

How is EmuDeck, is it nice, easy to use, does it cover many systems? Isn't EmuDeck not also using EmulationStation? The Windows version is only in beta state so far though.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes EmuDeck is very nice. It does use Emulation Station and RetroArch. You can choose to drop into either and just use the one you prefer. But it also installs any other standalone emulators worth having.

EmuDeck is more an all in one emulation system that installs and configures the lot, and integrates it into Steam without you having to manually add each emulator as a non Steam game. It also has the ability to add individual games installing on any of the emulators directly into Steam so they appear in the games catalogues in Steam just like any other game, which is a nice feature.

It also comes with Steam Rom manager where you can scrap the internet to add boxart, screenshots etc to your rom collections, as well as a more of other stuff to manage them.

And like you say, because Steam Deck uses Linux it has the more developed and supported versions of Emulation Station and RetroArch. But obviously on PC some emulators such as Mame are further along.

EmuDeck is currently being ported to PC though and you can sign up for early access testing. They will be supporting us integration with Steam on Windows, as well as mentioning direct AOG Ally support. Might be worth you taking a look for that reason.

https://www.emudeck.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw now a video that the have these 90 degrees NVMe adapters for the ROG Ally, so I grabbed one from Amazon, like this I can add an 2280 NVMe and I'm not restricted to the smaller, less space (2TB max) and more expensive (double price) 2230 NVMe. I ordered a 4TB Corsair MP600 CORE XT which should arrive tomorrow.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Valve have now released an updated version of the Steam Deck, in the form of an OLED version.

This new OLED version has the same performance as the original. However it uses a newer smaller chip meaning it uses less power and runs cooler.

The new OLED screen specially made for Valve by Samsung has a refresh rate up to 90hz, so increasing the maximum framerate the Deck can run from 60fps to 90fps. And it still supports HDR.

And as the screen is 30g lighter, uses 2W less, and thinner, plus the main chip is smaller and cooler, this has allowed Valve to fit a larger battery and bigger heatsink.

They have also doubled the built in storage to 1TB.

And it will cost exactly the same as the existing 512GB model.

So some nice improvements and updates. In early reviews they have found battery life is up to 30% better. This updated model is not really worth an upgrade if you own the original, unless you use it exclusely travelling then the larger batter and more energy efficient chips and screen might be attractive.

It's still great to see Valve continuing to support the Steam Deck so much. They are heavily invested in Steam OS and continue to release updates every week and fix bugs and improve performance. They are also constantly improving how the OS handled games, and the whole UI and user experience. Taking all comments, feedback and bug reports very seriously.

Yes there are far more powerful handhelds on the market now, such as the Asus, but their battery life is less than 2 hours, they are running Windows which was never directly designed for a handhejd console, and they are missing many hardware features such as the dual touch pads on the Steam Deck. And they don't have any direct OS support specifically for that one device.

For me, yes I would love to see a Steam Deck with better performance, but at the moment it's the best handheld IMO as an all rounder for both emulation and PC gaming.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's good to see that they didn't just 'bung in an OLED' but did something a little bit more thoughtful and considered. Nice.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very true. They could of just put the oled in and called it a day, plus charge more. Instead they have done a mid generation refresh to optimise what was already there.

Valve have stated they won't be releasing a more powerful Deck any time soon as they want to optimise the existing one as much as possible, so unlike other handheld gaming makers who are turning out a new Windows or Linux based handheld every year or so, Valve are treating the Steam Deck in the same way as a proper gaming console.