Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Steam Deck

https://store.steampowered.com/news/...31641634388284

What are your thoughts on the newly announced Steam Deck, handheld gaming PC?

Compared to other handheld gaming PC coming out of China the Steam Deck is a a very good price, however there is currently limited information on the actual hardware processing power. However the screen is only 720p, the same as the Switch, which might explain the price point because you won't need such a powerful system for a lower resolution, but on a handheld its not so important. The controls look interesting, with Xbox style controls, plus touch thumb controls and a touch screen.

The OS will be Linux based, meaning natively it will only run Linux versions of games available on Steam. But it apparently will be able to run Windows emulaton to make the majority of games run, and they are quoted as saying at full speed. But that is to be seen. Some are saying you will be able to install Windows instead if you wish, but I've not read that myself. Linux will obviously be far more lightweight.

Linux also means it could be very good for retro gaming too. It will be far more powerful than the cheaper retro handhelds from companies such as Anbernic, so I bet it won't take look before we see dedicated distros for retro emulsion.. retroarch and maybe frontends like EmuElec could quickly appear.

To preorder one you have to pay £4 to secure a slot, for an expected first quarter 2022 release. The different versions vary a lot in price, but the only real difference is the storage size and type. Yes the storage types should make a big difference in access speed, but we dunt really know for such by how much, so is it worth paying £200+ more without any realworld previews and reviews?

Are you tempted? Will you be ordering one?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I won't get one, looks nice though, but having ordered the OneXPlayer, I can skip this.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It does look like a nice piece of kit

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After watching some preview and other discussion videos on YouTube, reading more about the system, and seeing a proper list of system specs I've bitten the bullet and payed my £4 preorder.

I've gone for the middle of the range model with the faster 256GB storage. I can always change my mind once the orders are available to complete.

The 256GB model seems to be the sweet spot. The 64GB one has far slower storage so might impact system boot speed, as well as smoothness of use and games that rewrite fast access. But it is £100 cheaper. The much faster storage and more realistic storage space of 256GB seems far more useable and sensible. The 512GB model just seems a bit too expensive to be worth it.

You will also be able to buy a dock for it, working in a similar way to the Switch, so you can dock it with a larger display. But unlike the switch it doesn't have detachable controllers. Instead the sick will also keyboard and mouse, so you actually dock it to become a full desktop PC.

It's one of those systems where you can see it going one of two ways. It might just end up being an alternative way for PC gamers to continue playing on the move. Eventually ending production. Or with its Linux based Steam OS it does have a chance to become an alternative console system, bringing PC gaming to a console level. I often wondered the real reason Valve developed Steam OS, and this is finally making more sense.

One other interesting point to note is unlike console makers they are not locking it down. You can add Xbox Game pass to have access to all those PC games, you can install other gaming stores too. You can even wipe Steam OS and install Windows.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My OneXPlayer was shipped and will arrive tomorrow.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So here it is, quite impressed with the quality so far, will have to test some gaming on it.