Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Minecraft 1.17 and 1.18 updates

Anyone play Minecraft? I got into it more with my son when he started playing over a year ago and we play on a realm to build a world together.

Anyway the first of a big 2 part update was released end of last week, called the Caves and Mountains update. The first big addition since the Nether update.

introducing the first new block in some time, Copper, as well as some new mobs such as goats and glow squid and some new items found in caves. With these additions there are some new items that can be created such as a telescope, light up item frames and lit text on signs.

Some parts of the new caves additions have also been added such as stalagmites and stalactites, making caves look more like a real natural cave. You can use stalactites as a water souce as they drip water, and also utilise them to drop into enemies.

This 1.17 was a fairly small update, with the majority of it arriving at the end of the year with the 1.18 update. This will add whole new biomes to the cave systems.

Minecraft is one of those games when I play it a lot of a bit, then get a bit bored and leave it a few weeks, then jump back in. We tend to mainly just build and create areas. Mine is mainly focused around a huge castle with big areas of farming, dye production etc and a few automated machines for things like bonemeal creation. I'm not so much into fighting the enemy mobs.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've played the ipad version quite a bit (I think that's 'pocket edition') with my son and it was one of big intense bursts where it was all he wanted to do.... followed by being put down and not returned to.

I think my son likes the lore and all of that stuff (minecraft as a setting rather than as a game). he's currently reading these 'diary of a minecraft zombie' books.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since Microsoft purchased Minecraft's parent company they have been converging all the different versions of the game. So ditching the ps4, pocket and java editions and all becoming the same Bedrock edition.

It's a bit strange on PS4 logging into your Microsoft account to load Minecraft. And it's the same from Minecraft Dungeons as it shows the Xbox loading logo on the PS4.

BTW you should play Minecraft Dungeons with your son. Great hack and slash action RPG at in the Minecraft universe. I play it with my son 2 player.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    BTW you should play Minecraft Dungeons with your son. Great hack and slash action RPG at in the Minecraft universe. I play it with my son 2 player.
    We let him earn Minecraft Dungeons as a reward at the end of the school year for good behaviour and progress.

It's quite good fun and he was massively into it but after we beat the main story mode final mission he didn't seem to want to go back to it much. I don't think he's one for enjoying a grind style of repeating previous missions to level up and get more stuff.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They have added a lot more content recently in DLCs. Some islands with their own themes and levels, and most recently the Nether.