Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Witcher

Anyone else a Witcher fan?

I'd played the 3 Witcher games in the past, but have to admit I'd never finished any of them. Then the Netflix series came out and after really enjoyed that I decided to explore the books. But not having time to read them I listen to the audio books on Audible whilst driving to work. Highly recommended.

There are 8 books and well worth reading/listening to. Far better and much more depth than the series. After finishing all the books it actually annoyed me how they had altered some of the stories in the Netflix series as they didn't need to, and they make more sense in their original versions.

The only disappointment with the books was the last book. There are 3 standalone books that contain short stories that explore the Witcher's earlier life and are used for some of the stories in the TV series. Then the final 5 books are a complete story arch of the lands being invaded by Nilfgaard. But the fifth and final book was very strange and I just couldn't get on with it. Unlike the others it was written in a different style, almost like a different author. It was from an historical viewpoint, looking back at the events surrounding the events, whereas the others were directly from the character's viewpoint. And the final ended was really stange and didn't actually make sense, with many online having conflicting opinions on what actually happened. Maybe that conclusion was the intention as it lets the reader draw their own conclusion, but for me it left too many questionmarks and felt disappointing as it didn't wrap it up properly. Hopefully if the Netflix series doesn't get cancelled they will reach the end of the main story and draw a better conclusion.

The most confusing thing about the series was why they changed the name of Garalt's friend from Dandelion to Jaskier. But looking into it his name in the original Polish was actually Jaskier. But it can't be translated properly and it's closest to Buttercup, which doesn't fit the character properly, so the English book changed the name to Dandelion. But for the series they changed it back. Why didn't they just keep Jaskier for the English versions? No idea.

Anyway, now I've read all the books and watched the series twice, I'm going to go back and replay The Witcher 3, especially as its getting a PS5 upgrade soon. I really want to see how they realised some of the other charactersfrom the books, such as the Vampire.

I've also just discovered their's another strategy RPG called Thronebreaker: the witcher tales. A full open world RPG centred around a Witcher card game called GWENT, using that for the game mechanics for battles. I just grabbed it in the PS4 sales but not played it yet.

Also whilst looking through recent Star Wars Black series figure releases I noticed some brilliant looking The Witcher collectable figures from Dark Horse. I had decided not to collect any more figures other than a few of the 6 inch Black series Star Wars releases, but these Witcher figures look brilliant. Not cheap though, with the cheapest being £39.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only played Witcher 3, none of the games before, neither do I plan to play the card game, already didn't play Gwent in the original game.

I finished the game with both DLCs, and I really enjoyed it, but that's as far as I go, I spend over 100 hours finishing it, but would not go back anymore, which I don't do for any game, if I once finish it, I don't replay it again, as there's so many other games, why should I replay the same game again. Besides Bruce Lee on the C64, but I can finish that in under an hour

Not interested in the series, at least so far. I was into that setting when I was a kid, liked knights and castles and all that stuff, but not anymore. That's why I'm also not interested in Game of Thrones at all, don't know what all the fuzz is about.

You already know my attitude towards books, so I'm not going to evaluate that again

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As a big RPG fan I thought you might have been interested in GoT or The Witcher series.

Both are far from just standard medievil Kings and knights. The sword fighting is worth it on its own. But there's also the Dragons, other creatures and magic. But with GoT with so many episodes and series and the fact everyone knows the final series was a bit of a letdown GoT might put off anyone wishing to watch it all now. But then you are missing some epic scenes and events, such as heads exploding, epic castle seiges, mass killings and poisonings, and even a death on the toilet.

As for The Witcher series, if someone had never played the games or read the books they would really enjoy it. But completing The Witcher 3 game, I would say the characters are better realised, look closer to their true book creations and explore the book stories far closer. But for me The original books (and audio books) are definitely the best material in the Witcher universe.

Would you not even try the audio books?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like to listen to music in my car. At home I'm usually busy doing other stuff, there's not really time to also listen to audio books. Again, I liked them as a child, had several tales like Rumpelstiltskin, Puss in Boots or Town Musicians of Bremen and I listen to those over and over again. I had them in German though.