Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

New controller imminent. The 8BitDo Pro 2

Due out very soon is a new controller from 8BitDo called the Pro 2.

https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/

It's an evolution of their existing SFC30 PRO controller, but with even more features and a more streamlined design, making it look even more premium and robust. It also adds 2 extra back buttons under the controller too which can be configured to act in any way needed, plus there's much improved software configuration and improved rumble features.

I'm definitely considering getting one.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Admitting that I like their controllers, I just bought an XBox Series X controller with the improved D-Pad. I bought the Shock Blue one, which looks really neat, and in my opinion still the best controller available.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The big advantage of Xbox controllers since the 360 days is complete native support in Windows. Most games instantly recognise them and switch to Xbox mode showing correct button mapped prompts etc. I actually still use a white wired 360 controller a lot on PC as really like it. But was considering getting a new Xbox one for PC use.

I mainly use these 8BitDo controllers more for emulation and RPi. Give that slightly more retro feel.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It finally arrived!

20210509_154647.jpg

I preordered this via Amazon UK as soon as it was announced a few months ago. It was meant to be released and shipped at the end of April but got delayed. It finally arrived today.

I've only had a quick unboxing and tested it with my Android phone (Samsung S20) to make sure ut was working. It paired without issue and was instantly working. Quickly tested it with Sonic 1. Great feel.

20210509_154743.jpg20210509_154700.jpg20210509_154803.jpg20210509_154831.jpg20210509_154811.jpg20210509_154823.jpg

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The guy from Retro Game corps was reviewing it already and was not too much excited about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQo_xAovJp4

Anyways I have 2 of the previous version 1 Pros and I never use them, Xbox controller all the way, best controller, don't give a shit about the retro feeling playing games on an Intel i9 10900K with RTX3090

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using it mainly for the RPi4 and some PC emulation. I didn't own the original Pro, only the SF30+. I wanted this new Pro 2 for the improved configuration software, the extra back buttons, and the improved triggers and thumbsticks with sensitivity adjustment.

The other advantage is compatibility. Especially if you own a Switch.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The guy from Retro Game Corps, and some other previewers, didn't say they didn't like it, just that if you already owned the original Pro it probably isn't worth the upgrade. But if you don't it's well worth it. That's a fair assessment IMO.

If you don't already own one of their controllers they are well worth a try. In always really impressed by the build quality and maturity of the product. Especially if you look at the awful rubbish a lot of other Chinese game accessory makers are turning out.