Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Retro controllers - The 8BitDo Sn30 Pro / Sf30 Pro

Having just got hold of a Raspberry Pi 4 and starting to mess around with setting it up for emulation I decided I needed a dedicated controller that had a nice layout and features to work well with many systems.

Obviously you could pair a PS4 or Xbox One controller, but I wanted something a bit more retro.

After watching some videos and reading up I decided on the 8BitDo Sn30 Pro / Sf30 Pro. This bluetooth wireless controller has received some great reviews and looks brilliant for retro gaming. It's also directly compatible with nearly everything, including Switch, PC, Xbox, RPi etc. I will update once it arrives.

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-g-cl...r-sn30-pro-sn/

The one I've ordered is based on the UK SNES so has the 4 colour buttons as shown below.

s-l1600_2_3f5b8cd7-674e-4a50-8385-016985d1748f_700x700.jpg

Anyone else tried this 8BitDo controller? Or any other?
    Last edited by Harrison; 17th January 2021 at 14:13.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have some since longer time, I have the one you have, paired with the Pi4, and I have 2 of the Sn30 Pro+ controllers, the SN and the G edition connected to my PC to use with LaunchBox.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Other then the shape is there any advantage to the Pro+ over the Pro? Are they proper L2 and R2 triggers? That could be useful. Are they also more configurable? I noticed it mentioned button and analogue stick sensitivity.

What do you think of the N30 Arcade Stick?

BTW, the Sn30 Pro arrived this morning. Bought it from Amazon Prime as only other places I could see it for sale was ebay for the same price, or Alliexpress which I didn't want to wait 3 weeks for and possibly have to pay extra import duty, or Wish which I avoid.

Only had a quick play with it. Just paired it to my S20 phone and worked straight out of the box no problem. Really impressed with the build quailty and button feel. Just tested it quickly with Sonic and no input lag. Very nice. Also quick freaky being able to control the phone phone from the gamepad.

I noticed in addition to Android, Switch and PC it also states XInput mode on the back of the controller. Would it therefore work with an Xbox?

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    They have proper L2 and R2 triggers. I don't know about configuration, what would you like to configure? Every button is mapped just like on a PS or XBox controller. I don't have the software installed anymore, could be that there are configuration options.

I have one setup as XInput, and one as DInput. Although I never tested them on anything else than PC. Which XBox do you mean? I think they also work fine with a PS4, so I guess they would just work fine with an XBox One too.

Don't know about the N30 Arcade Stick, as I don't use arcade sticks.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    They have proper L2 and R2 triggers. I don't know about configuration, what would you like to configure?
    Looking at info on the 8BitDo site it looks like you can adjust the deadzone of the analogue sticks, as well as the sensitivity of each stick and button.

As for configuration, some emulators and specific games need specific button layouts. N64 emulators especially have some issues with using default button mapping, especially the C buttons.

I will probably grab a Pro+ some time soon.