Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro Handhelds

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lots of community activity regarding the Anbernic RG351P/M at the moment. There's a new version of the main EmuELEC OS, as well as a new version of ArkOS.

And a new package has now been added that you can link into RetroArch that allows all RPGMaker games to run perfectly.. not everyone is bothered by fan made RPGs but there have been some very nice SNES era style RPGs created and commercially released using it. This setup let's you take the files directly from PC Steam installed RPGMaker based game installs to add them in. There is a complete guide to setting this up on Youtube by Retro Corps.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a huge amount of the RPGMaker stuff, and I wanted to implement it to my RG350M, but the RetroArch core still had some problems to run it.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There was a recent new beta of OpenDingux released for the 350 so might be worth taking a look at that.

But remember the 350 hardware is quite a bit behind the 351 which might be an issue running the emulator. Plus they run different OSs too. The 350 runs OpenDingux and the 351 runs EmuElec as standard but also has other available including ArkOS. So I think EmuElec combined with double the ram and a faster quad core cpu makes a big difference.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The AYA NEO is now live on Indiegogo, I grabbed one, the black 1TB version.

The early bird perk of 42 units was gone after 30 seconds, and they reached their funding goal in 1 minute.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...2/x/19138613#/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. Let me know what you think once you have it. I've been watching the preview reviews on YouTube and it looks nicely designed and implemented.

Is still quite mad to think of a full blown gaming PC in a large handheld.

Will be interesting to see the battery life you manage too.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course you have to get the M,

METUL!!!! RAWWWRRRRRRRRgh

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There's another new Retro Handheld on the horizon. The KT R1.

https://retrododo.com/kt-r1/

This has a similar look to the recent Retroid Pocket 2, and is also Android based, but running 9, whereas the RP2 is currently on 8. But I've not found any issues with 8 on the RP2, but a more recent OS is always nice to have.

This wull also feature a faster CPU and GPU to elevate it above existing retro Handhelds plus either 2GB or 4GB ram sounding on which model you opt for. All current handhelds struggle a bit with more demanding PSP, N64 and Dreamcast titles, as most released last year are running a Quad core 1 to 1.5Ghz CPU with 1GB ram. This increased speed and ram will hopefully allow more to run at full framerate without any stuttering, or the need to set framskipping.

One big game changer for this new handheld isn't actually the faster CPU or more ram. It's actually the inclusion on a higher resolution touchscreen. Up to now the best of these handhelds have had very nice displays but having a touchscreen, especially running Android, will be a massive improvement. It will also allow better emulation for systems such as DS and allow you to play more native Android games far easier.

Will I buy one? At the moment I will wait and see. Why?
    The Retroid and Anbernic brands which are well established, have their own websites, and have very good after sales support and communities. Bin contrast the amazing thing is this new handheld is from a single person! He helped design sone other recent handhelds so has the exclusive, and has connections with Chinese manufacturers so getting the product into production shouldn't be an issue. But I will wait and see the volumes of consoles he can manage to produce, the quality of the finished product and its build quality. Anbernic set a benchmark for build quality a couple of years ago and it will take a lot to match it. And after sales support and community interest for continued updates and development.

Even if this new handheld doesn't turn out to be worth a purchase there is one thing for sure. The fact it can include a touchscreen for the first time, plus a faster CPP and at kat twice the ram, means the other existing manufacturers will need to up their soecs for their next systems. I really hope Anbernic and Retroid can come up with something later in the year to match this spec level.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks very interesting, and like they mention, other manufacturers will have to up their specs for oncoming devices. But that would have come anyway eventually, this only gives them an uproar.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another couple of handhelds.

First the Anbernic RG351V has just been launched. As the name suggests it's in the same family as the RG351P/M and shares exactly the same internal hardware. But its form factor is vertical and basically looks like a large Gameboy Colour. It also has a 4:3 aspect ratio screen with a 640x480 resolution, so different to the 3:2 480x320 resolution of the horizontal versions. Whilst this aspect ratio and resolution is better for PS1 and other retro consoles, it's actually amusingly not correct for Gameboy advance games, whereas the 3:2 ratio and resolution of the others is actually exactly double. It just means you would have black bars for some systems if set to the correct aspect.

Anyway, on to another upcoming system.

The Analogue Pocket This is a different beast to the other retro handhelds. For one it's $199, so a lot more expensive, but it's got a really high resolution 3.5" screen at 1600x1440. Next it's FPGA based, not software emulation, so the system hardware system cores are written to the FPGA, not running on an OS like software emulsion. So this makes it very interesting for the retro enthusiasts.

The big difference is also that this is not emulating systems or running roms. It runs original system game cartridges.

The Analogue Pocket uses an Altera Cyclone V processor, and is compatible with the original Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance cartridges out of the box. With cartridge adapters (sold separately) the Analogue Pocket can play Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket, Neo Geo Pocket Color and Atari Lynx game cartridges. The Analogue Pocket includes an additional FPGA, allowing developers to create other "cores".

You are read more here:
    https://www.inputmag.com/gaming/more...-for-pre-order

And the Wiki page here:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogue_Pocket

The developers have therefore designed this as a single handheld for original games, but with the second programmable FPGA, and an SD card slot to program it, how long before someone creates a custom core to run emulators and roms from a custom cartridge or even from the SD card.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Analogue Pocket is really looking nice but not for me, if I can't use emulation, forget it, don't want to ne restricted with 1 single game. Same problem for me is the Evercade with it's collection cartridges, quite expensive and limited games.

I just bought another PS Vita (2000), a white one from eBay.

I was looking today again at the 351P, the new 351Elec v2.0 looks quite good, but still, for the little power more of the 350, I don't know. At least it's already in my shopping basket

Also noticed that the RG351V is out, looks very nice, plus I have already many "landscape" handhelds, so having a vertical one is something different. I also really like the wooden design, quite special.

EDIT: Ok done, just ordered the RG351V and a 512GB Samsung EVO Select microSD card.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 7th April 2021 at 18:13.