Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Raspberry Pi 4 and RetroPi

I was considering grabbing a 4GB Pi4 the other day, but does anyone know if RetroPi has been updated to support it yet?

Don't really want to buy the older 3.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    RetroPi is still not working with Pi4.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been reading that some community Pi4 updated versions of RetroPi have been created, but they are still not 100% working for everything. N64 is broken f ex. And they are build based on a PiZero build, so not ideal.

Will just have to wait until a real version is released. I might still grab a Pi4 to play around with other stuff until it is.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly one year on and I finally have a RPi4 4GB as a birthday present from my wife yesterday. And RetroPi is fully supported now, so I can't wait to have a play with it.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Didn't play around with it for some time, but I got a very nice case from anidees, a bit expensive, but looks awesome.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. I just got a really nice case too from Flirc. Completely aluminum with a cpu heatsink built into the case, so it disipates heat through the case.

raspberry-perspective-menu.jpg

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi everyone.
    Harrison, what do you think so far of the R.Pi 4GB? I saw same videos on youtube about that version (4gb) and the guy was trying youtube on it. Normal videos were fine, but 720p and 1080p the Rpi was fighting to keep clear image without jumping.
    I will get one in near future, for retro gaming is great, and general web browsing looks capable.
    What about power? Can you feed it with a USB from a TV?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine came as a bundle with an official power supply. I've not tried anything else. I think it needs 5V 2A, which is fairly standard for a lot of devices. I run my SNES mini from the USB wall sockets I installed around the house and that works fine with that, so a TV with a powered USB socket might be ok.

Regarding video. For OSs I've only really run RaspbianOS so far, which is the officially supported Linux distro. 1080p video ran perfectly well. I am using the new 64bit version so that might make a difference. Raspbian is nice and fast too, although you do still hit the same Linux stumbling blocks as any other version. Having to recompile some github downloads before being able to install them. But most things I wanted to install were on the official installer. Web browsing works just as well as any other system. It has no issues with anywhere I've visited.

RetroPie works really well too. Love RetroArch. So many configuration settings for each core (emulator). I'm now running EmulationStation and RetroArch on loads of devices. Great multi emulator software. Works really well on handhelds toi, especially myb recently orchard Anbernic RG351P.