Thread: Cheap Amigas

Downloads
    Uploads

Cheap Amigas

Hello everyone,

I love the Amiga but I've never owned one (I have very fond memories of many, many hours of gaming on my best friend's A500+ when I was younger).

I've always wanted one and decided it's time to finally try and get my hands on one, but I really don't like how expensive they are on eBay.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations on how to get a bargain on one? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the forums. I can't really comment on prices because I've not been paying attention for a long time. But I remember some years ago, things like A500s were selling for less than it would cost to post one. I guess they've gone up in value since then.

Your best bet if you want to avoid ebay prices would probably be to post a wanted ad on a site like this, or Amibay, and hope you can find one for sale at a reasonable price.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there a reason you want a real physical one and not to just emulate one? Emulation is so easy to do now, although it does lack that tactile charm.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Stephen! Yeah I've been hearing all about those days and really regret missing the boat on it! As for current prices, I partly blame the NES Classic, SNES Classic etc for re-igniting interest in retro gaming, but I think it's also just that people who grew up with these systems and have fond memories of them are now getting into middle age, when that nostalgia gland becomes especially active and there's a desire to resurrect some fondly-remembered part of the childhood (maybe some kind of mid-life crisis? :-)).

That's a good idea re Amibay etc. Only thing is that site seems to be very European (all prices in euros) and not really any cheaper than eBay generally. I might post though and specify local sellers. It doesn't seem like there are many where I am but could get lucky.