C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Bought new mini PC

I got myself one of those, the Intel NUC Hades Canyon i7-8809G. I wanted a mini PC to use in my living room, together with the beamer or TV, and mainly to use it with LaunchBox, which I'm about to completely configure (which takes time obviously), and also to be able to play newer PC games.

The Intel NUC Hades Canyon i7-8809G is an Intel NUC Kit with 8th Generation Intel Core Processors and has a Radeon RX Vega M GH graphics (4GB, 8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) which supports up to 6 displays. Graphics outputs are 2x Mini-DP 1.2, 2x Thunderbolt 3, F+R HDMI 2.0a.

Other connections like USB are Front: USB3, 2x USB 3.1g2 (Type A and C); Rear: 4x USB3, 2x Thunderbolt3 (USB3.1g2); INT: 2x USB2, 2x USB3, so plenty of them.

Unfortunately it doesn't come with memory or storage, so I bought that separately, as memory I bought the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 2.666Mhz DDR4. Storage wise I bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD for OS, and a Crucial MX500 1TB for games and such.

Furthermore I'm using an external 5TB for my ROMs collection for LaunchBox, which should be enough.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got it today, installed the components, installed Windows, and it´s working like a charm

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it's a cool looking little unit and clearly has good specs. Does it run quietly?

I'm curious though, what is the likely use case for having both front and rear HDMI-out ports do you think?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It runs quiet enough for me, at the moment I’m sitting right in front of it, as I’m still configuring it, and I don’t notice the noise.

The front HDMI in my opinion only serves if you want to connect those 6 screens to it, other than that I don’t see any other purpose.

Btw, you can completely configure the colors of the skull on the case, which is neat.

I also ran an update, with BIOS and everything through Intel’s website. It recognizes if you have outdated drivers and updates them all for you. Just go to their webpage, press the scan button, and the rest is done automatically. Very practical, plus it works flawlessly.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post

Btw, you can completely configure the colors of the skull on the case, which is neat.

I also ran an update, with BIOS and everything through Intel’s website. It recognizes if you have outdated drivers and updates them all for you. Just go to their webpage, press the scan button, and the rest is done automatically. Very practical, plus it works flawlessly.
    I do quite like that level of pointless-but-cool customisation. Can you make it cycle?

The driver update sounds ace - that's really how it ought to be, simple and easy. Nice. I haven't really been 'into' PC stuff for a while now but I sure remember the nuisance that drivers could be.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    No cycling option afaik.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not seen this particular one, but was looking at a few mini PCs recently. With current tech they are a long way ahead of anything small you used to be able to get. I'm considering one more for general computer use for my son. Something I can tuck away in the dinning room that won't need much room.

Your new one definitely has a very nice spec for gaming.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!