Thread: Bought new TV

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Bought new TV

I bought a very nice new lowboard, as I wanted to alter the look of the living room, which hasn’t been done since many years. I also bought a new stand/table for my receiver and subwoofer, so the back wall is looking completely new now, and it also pleases Mrs very much, did I not also have something else in mind

It was only later that I told her that with the new look comes also a new TV, otherwise it wouldn’t make any sense, would it? I guess we men agree on this one. She was fine with it, as it’s me who’s paying anyway

My old TV was over 9 years old already, would not have thought that, time passes, my old beloved 50” Panasonic plasma. Time to make space for something more modern, and BIGGER!!! So I bought, and got it yesterday, a 75” Sony Bravia TV. Man, it’s huge. And it’s a beauty!

Another reason for this change was, that sometimes I only play for one hour, and I don’t necessarily switch the beamer on, thus I play on the TV, mainly indie titles, but in all honesty, with the age my eyesight clearly doesn’t get better, and if I have to read some text on the screen, sitting almost 4.5m away, I’m completely lost. So the obvious step to take was buying a bigger TV, sounds logical.

Plus the beamer gets a little “rest” now from time to time, have to swap the lamp soon, I already bought a new one, which costs 540€. So using it a bit less, extends the lifespan of the lamp.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 26th July 2019 at 08:30.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So after having it now since 1 month I have to say that it's a really nice TV. Since I have it, my beamer has not been switched on once, as all the series on Netflix or Prime I was watching on the TV, even every game I played, I did it on the TV. If I'm gonna watch a movie, meaning AAA or play some AAA game, I will probably do it on the beamer, but I played now FIFA, Madden and NHL on the TV, and it looks gorgeous, plus the size is also optimal. Not regretting that I bought it. And like I mentioned, I'm extending a bit the lifetime of the beamer lamp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love big screens & wish I'd got the 65" Panasonic OLED. We changed from a Pioneer 42" Plasma after 15 years & shoved it in the bedroom. After doing so, we had to shut down the bedroom Radiator cos of the Heat from the Plasma!

So we ended up staying modest & bought the 55" OLED & ended up having three.....

From Black Friday 2018, the first Two OLED's were LG C6 55" affairs. - Loved the Wand remote for on screen menus, but every time we watched something in UHD from Sky Q, it jerked all over the screen in so many different ways, it made you feel sick towards the realms of a Migrane scenario.
    The Third OLED arrived in the guise of a Panasonic TX-55FZ800B on Dec 24th 2018 & that suffered the same indignities....
    So we rang Sky & got an Engineer out to have a look-see. Apparently, Version 2 Sky Q boxes have an issue with OLED Screens & version 1 Sky Q boxes don't. The only difference between V1 & V2 boxes is V2 is more European & has the PSU outside the Q box. - V1 has an Internal PSU.

Once the dust had settled & we were happy with UHD playback, we started watching things like Indiana Jones Movies from DVD & WOW! - Never seen DVD looking so good. - The Depth of Field, the dark shadows, the detail is simply breath taking & not a single stitch, jerk or missed frame, just beautiful.

LG OLED C6 panels are only 8Bit, Panasonic TX-55FZ800B has a 10Bit output. - So much less banding you have to see it to believe it.

Still wish we'd got the 65" version though! biggrin.gif

PS - Just to Add, LG actually Manufacture the OLED Panels & Panasonic buy from them. - No wonder the TX-55FZ800B was £300 more than the LG C6 when it sports 10Bit output over 8Bit
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    75" ????
    My Tv is at 1,5 m from me. If i put a 75" TV... so 75x2,5 = 187cm ....
    so, to look from left to right i would not be able to do it with my eyes, i would need to move my head.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    We recently went from a fine vintage 2010 model 42" Panasonic plasma (beautiful picture, loved it) down to a 27" Dell Ultrasharp monitor because one of the kids smashed the plasma by hitting it with a stick, and as punishment I held off getting a new telly.

But then, after a while I got fed up and we got a 50" Samsung LCD. It's quite a significant difference in size. Viewing angles on the LCD are not great but we can live with that. The built in Netflix, Apple TV and Spotify apps are neat. It's nice to have a modern telly but I still maintain that the plasma was, despite being 1080p not 4K, a brilliant picture quality. Boy tho, did it feel like that plasma screen had FAT BEZELS

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Boy tho, did it feel like that plasma screen had FAT BEZELS
    indeed, I had 2 Panasonic plasma TV's before, and the bezels were like at least 5cm on each side, top and bottom, made it look bigger than it was. My 2 Dell monitors, have like 2mm, so you can nicely fit them next to each other with almost nothing between, very nice.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    €540 for a new lamp? Wow! Have you looked into the new LED projectors? Meant to never need replacements, but I've not read any reviews.

As for TV size, we couldn't fit a 75" TV in our living room. We have a 1930s house with fireplaces (that we use), so we have chimney breasts with an alcove each side. This means we can only fit about a 40" screen to one side in the recess so it's sitting against the wall and not at an awkward angle. For general viewing 40" is fine imo as I'm sitting about 2 meters from the screen. Have a Samsung 43" 4K QLED TV and am happy with it, connected to Sky Q.

Upstairs in the Office/study,/games room I'm currently using an older 40" Samsung LCD HD TV which was the one originally in the living room. It's still got a great picture, although I'm considering upgrading to a 50" 4K Samsung to have things like HDR, and also 4k for films.

There are not really any rooms in my house that could completely accommodate anything too big as I would be sitting too close. Only option would be to shift the games room around 90 degrees so the screen was on the end wall so you could sit further away for a better home cinema configuration, but I compromised on my home cinema setup a bit as my desk fits perfectly across the end of the room, so the TV and units are along the very long wall with the sofa opposite under the window. Works well like that. Only other way I considered was a projector screen that pulled down from the ceiling in front of the desk, but too expensive an option to even consider at the moment.

I am considering upgrading my AV Amp to one with Dolby Atmos. You can get some quite discrete Atmos speakers now that deliver a convincing coverage for Atmos surround.

Other idea in my head is to get a SONOS setup for the living room to make it unobtrusive, with a soundbar and sub, plus a couple of Sonos Ones for surround.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was only reading a bit about laser beamers, 30.000 hours you can use it without replacement.