Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very true.

Many already don't understand and will never experience many physical store experiences. Record stores is a huge one. It was an amazing experience in the 80s and 90s spending ages going through the LPs discovering new stuff and not knowing exactly that you had discovered until you got it home and played it. Or even going into a video game store and picking something at random to buy purely based on the boxart.

These days you look at the reviews and scores before making any decision. And with music Spotify and other services have made music throwaway, being able to play a few seconds and move on without giving it a chance. If you had physically purchased an LP you listened to the whole thing to give it a chance and quite often discovered something that grew over time. Books at the next one, although schools are still heavily encouraging children to read and explore physical books which is great. They could have so easily gone down the ebook/tablet root. Physical book don't seem to be being replaced by digital versions in quite the same way. It's still great to get a new book.. the smell, the feel etc, even putting a book mark in the page. I just can't easily read novels digitally. It's different with reference books, because when designing or coding it's very useful to have your reference books in digital form on your phone or table. Still kind of prefer a physical reference book, but it's not as much an issue.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah yes, record shops, and the second-hand / collectors shops too, unearthing a bargain in there was a good feeling, or maybe rediscovering an old gem that wasn't carried in the big shiny stores like HMV or Virgin.

I feel a little sad that we were around to witness the decline. I understand that habits change and that nothing lasts forever but it was a shame to see the rows upon rows upon rows of CDs gradually replaced by plastic merchandise tat, and then see the shop shrink in front of our eyes. Of course, I haven't bought a CD in many many years so I'm part of the cause too.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    True. I used to buy CDs every month back in the day. I only now buy a CD for something I really want a physical copy of. The last one was the last Metallica album. Tend to just listen to Spotify or MP3s on a memory stick in the car these days.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spotify is so incredibly convenient. That's a major part of the reason I stopped 'obtaining' music by 'other means'.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It can also be really annoying when it's missing half the albums by an artist though.

Plus the number of times I've recently had an argument with Alexa when asking it to play a song from Spotify when I know it's on there. Have to keep rewording and approaching the request differently until it finds it.. or more annoyingly it starts playing some obsure never heard of song instead.. which I'm sure is some secret ploy by Spotify to get some of their unlistened songs played.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Have to keep rewording and approaching the request differently until it finds it.. or more annoyingly it starts playing some obsure never heard of song instead.. which I'm sure is some secret ploy by Spotify to get some of their unlistened songs played.
    How (or why) would Spotify benefit from that though?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't remember the reasons, but I read an article some time ago about Spotify. They said about 4 million songs (20%) on their servers has never been played.

There is even a third party app created that randomly suggests never listened to songs based on your criteria.

http://forgotify.com/

It's tied into Spotifies discovery technology. Spotify do want you to expand your listening and find new music as it maintains the interest for musicians to keep utilising the platform.