Thread: PS4 modding

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

PS4 modding

I haven't really been keeping up with the modding scene regarding the PS4 and XBox1. However I was just reading about a group successfully hacking the PS4 about a year ago to unlock/jailbreak it. Plus they reverse engineered the PS2 classic releases to find the built in and normally hidden PS2 emulation so you can now run any PS2 games via ISO.

The PS2 emulation is quite an interesting one for me because I do still use a real PS2 and this could reduce the number of systems under the TV.

Interestingly I also just read that RetroArch is being ported, which would be good.

I've also still not bothered getting a PS4 yet because I still have loads of PS3 games to play, plus the majority of games released on the PS4 are also available on the PC. Same for the Xbox1. However both systems are coming towards the end of their lifespan, which is when I normally catch up and buy any current gen systems I don't have. Plus there are some exclusive titles I do want to play.

Has anyone here modded a PS4 yet? I know it was limited when first hacked because it only worked with a very old version of firmware, much like the PS3 mods. But I need to research if this has improved. If it has I might grab one in the new year. Tempted by a Pro, but the PS4 slim is pretty cheap now.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    PS4? No.
    PS3 yes. I did a jailb..... in my PS3. I was able to run everything in external HD. It was perfect!! The modding was superb. But 2 years ago i got one of those typical errors. Can't remember exactly what it was, but something like, power on, some beeps and it didn't boot.
    I was pxxxxx off, but that PS3, oh boy, now that i look back, the PS3 was the best console i got. I had so many games.... but it's over, now i have a PS4, but no jailbreak, no nothing.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Same for the Xbox1. However both systems are coming towards the end of their lifespan, which is when I normally catch up and buy any current gen systems I don't have.
    *feels old*

I don't have any current gen. Both the PS4 and Xbox one passed me by.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol. As I said I don't either as most releases this gen were also on the PC. However as I do have both Playstation Plus and Xbox Gold accounts I've been collecting quite a few games for both (still use the PS3 and the Xbox account is also useful for PC gaming).

Noticed you can grab a PS4 Slim for under £200 now. Quite tempting.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!