Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

What is wrong with you people.
    There are all kinds of hacks and commodities to stop the clicking because it drives people mad.
    And you lot actually like the clicking.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was on about the noises the drive makes when it is working.

The clicking when there is no disk present can be annoying, but it is not as annoying as the constant whirring of fans and HDs in the PC. Or the GVP HD+ for that matter.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to hate the clicking sound the drives made when not in use. The first thing I always did was install a patch in the startup-sequence to stop it. But I do still like the noise the drives make when loading a game. Nothing like it on any other platform.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The old Catweasel also made the clicking sounds when no disk was inserted, which was very annoying. It used to boot the driver at the start of the PC. Now the latest Mk4 only starts the driver when you start the program, thus no clicking when using your PC.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I used to hate the clicking sound the drives made when not in use. The first thing I always did was install a patch in the startup-sequence to stop it. But I do still like the noise the drives make when loading a game. Nothing like it on any other platform.

Now that you're talking of disk drive loading noises, my favourite was the loading system they used on the Hybris disk. I believe it was a custom-made loader, and it was a pretty relaxing kind of whirring - almost like motorcycle engine noise, but more laid back.

There were some games that were awfully loud and annoying. Didn't much care for the crunching sounds of standard DOS disks, either.

My cousin had an Amiga 500 with an EXCEPTIONALLY quiet internal floppy drive. Was a joy to listen to - smooth as baby buttocks!

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A mate of mine had the exact opposite on his 500.
    Sounded like industrial ginders or something.
    Worked perfectly for years though.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The noisiest Amiga drive I've had is in my A600. That is really bad, especially with certain games where it really grinds and creates some very loud and sometimes annoying sounds.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny how we can even make a discussion out of disk drive loading noises

It takes a special kind of people, for sure.

The drive in my A500 was pretty bad also. 'Chainsaw' comes to mind.

To stay on topic: my dream Amiga, back when I owned an A1200, was always the A4000, with a ridiculous amount of fast RAM and a CD-ROM. The main reason for wanting such was Frontier - it ran a bit choppy on the A1200 (though, much better than when I played it on the A500), so I wanted to see what it was like to play it on a fast comp.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe the strange sounds where to keep you occupied while waiting for the game to load up? It would be a bit boring if you were listening to a silence for ages while the game was loading up.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharingan View Post
    To stay on topic: my dream Amiga, back when I owned an A1200, was always the A4000, with a ridiculous amount of fast RAM and a CD-ROM. The main reason for wanting such was Frontier - it ran a bit choppy on the A1200 (though, much better than when I played it on the A500), so I wanted to see what it was like to play it on a fast comp.
    I can confirm that Frontier does indeed play much smoother on my A4000

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    Maybe the strange sounds where to keep you occupied while waiting for the game to load up? It would be a bit boring if you were listening to a silence for ages while the game was loading up.
    Interesting idea, but surely the loading screens and especially the cracktros would keep you interested!