Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down So I just bought Tunnel B1 on Steam...

Yeah, a couple of weeks ago I discovered that a company called Piko Interactive got the license for some old Ocean games and were going to release them on Steam. Some of them were old classics like Sleepwalker, Push-Over and Elf, but the DOS-versions of course. One of them was Tunnel B1 which I played a lot on the PS1 and figured I'd play again. It released just a couple of hours ago, and I got it and gave it a try.

I wondered why the PC version didn't have the intro cinematic. And starting the game, why isn't the music working? Chris Hülsbecks excellent soundtrack is on its own a good reason to play the game.

So I browsed the folders, found the cinematics but no intro. And I found nothing that looked like music files. In the game folder however, I spotted a razor.nfo file! And in it they are "proud to present Tunnel B1" in 1996, and further in they say they ripped out the music and the intro to reduce the size of the game!

Needless to say I requested a refund, with an explanation of what this is and maybe they should look at the other games that Piko Interactive released today. You should definitely avoid them.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is mad. So they used a ripped copy from razor to sell it officially?

I loved the game on the Playstation too. As you said, the music alone was worth it.

I have so many memories of gun turrets.

I probably would have purchased it on Steam too. Shame.

How did it play on PC compared to PSX?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, they used a ripped copy from Razor. I posted a warning on the steam-forums that was promptly deleted. I can't confirm since I got a refund, but a norwegian retrogaming site I talked to says it has now been updated to include the missing music. So the game may now be what it is supposed to be. I don't think I'll be buying it again though.

As for how it played, I barely tested it. It didn't run right on my machine, ran only in a small window and with a single-digit framerate. I could probably have fixed that by tweaking DOSBox, but didn't bother once I discovered what this was. Instead I got a refund, and dug out my PS1 copy and popped that into my PS3 and played that today instead. And there were oh so many gun turrets.

Chris Hülsbeck sells the soundtrack on his bandcamp page by the way. I actually bought it on CD many years ago, I think it was Bjørn Lynne who sold it on his site. Lynne was Dr. Awesome in Crusaders and did some work for Team 17, created the original Worms theme for example.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tempted just to run a PC "copy" in Dosbox, or my Win98 VM to see how it is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!