Downloads
    Uploads

Video: Can an A500 do email?

Can I send modern email from a Commodore Amiga 500?

https://youtu.be/tztA6g7NKqA (no ads)

Enjoy!

Starglider aka ԹҽɾíƒɾɑϲԵíϲ

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only watched the first few seconds of this video (I'm at work) but first impressions.... you're very video-genic

(note, this isn't a hook up website, nor am I gay; but respect, bro)

- - - Updated - - -

More live thoughts:

Cor this looks complicated

Oh, a terrorpods box (poster? picture?) in the background. Did you ever get far with that? I had it in the 'tenstar' pack of crappy games that came with my A500 and found it intereting yet somewhat impenetrable.

G is also the first letter of 'git' or 'gimme all your money, punk' so I disagree with you over 'gif'

- - - Updated - - -

I watched the whole thing (at work) - impressive work, and brave move advertising that you are opening up emails without control and recording it... that JPEG could've really lead to some lulz

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great to see someone still exploring the Amiga and seeing what it can achieve.

It is impressive to get newer things working on old platforms. But as shown because it was never originally considered it is a much more complex thing to get working. Your setup to get it working is way more complex than I've seen before.

On the A1200 I connected online and still do via a pcmcia ethernet card with the appropriate network software running. Then AWeb, iBrowse, AmiFTP, WookieChat and YAM.

The Amiga OS before 3.5 obviously never had any direct internet support, let alone any software to handle protocols. I remember messing around with stacks and stuff to get online on my A1200 back in the day and that was complicated enough compared to getting a PC online. But there has always been a big community pushing drivers, libraries and software out for free to Aminet.

I used to use YAM back in the day too. Worked fine and pretty much as you discovered.

Compared to my PC at the time it was qyite clunky and a lot less elegant then something like Outlook. Personally I wouldn't like to try on a vanilla A500. A vanilla A1200 was slow enough (was made a lot better when upgraded to an 030). However you are running a Vampire so not technically a standard A500. A much bigger change for you would be to remove the vampire and get it working on a standard A500.

I wouldn't try on an A500 with KS1.3 as thr OS is really not up to the task as its missing some support. But KS 2.05 and WB 2.1 or newer should be ok. And there were A500 sidecar expansions with Ethernet so it was possible to get online via a LAN fairly easily. A GVP 030 accelerator was pretty much needed to make the A500 nice to work with though.

It does still amaze me how much people have managed to get the Amiga to do over the years.. and still achieving new things.

What i really like about your video though is you are exporting using currently available generic (not designed for the Amiga) hardware too get the Aniga online. That's a huge plus because working vintage expansions are becoming rare and expensive. Having an off the shelf solution is great for enthusiasts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Harrison; 29th March 2018 at 10:55.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I enjoyed the video.

I had my A500 Plus online about 10 years ago. It was easy enough with a dialup modem, but I'd need something a bit more modern these days. I read about using a Raspberry Pi running Linux as a kind of 'modem emulator', but I haven't got round to trying it out yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    I've only watched the first few seconds of this video (I'm at work) but first impressions.... you're very video-genic

(note, this isn't a hook up website, nor am I gay; but respect, bro)

- - - Updated - - -

More live thoughts:

Cor this looks complicated

Oh, a terrorpods box (poster? picture?) in the background. Did you ever get far with that? I had it in the 'tenstar' pack of crappy games that came with my A500 and found it intereting yet somewhat impenetrable.

G is also the first letter of 'git' or 'gimme all your money, punk' so I disagree with you over 'gif'

- - - Updated - - -

I watched the whole thing (at work) - impressive work, and brave move advertising that you are opening up emails without control and recording it... that JPEG could've really lead to some lulz
    Thanks for your kind words bro!

I loved Terrorpods, but only because it was the first Amiga game I bought myself from a convention at Earl's Court and I drooled over the box art all the way home on the tube. Ultimately the box was the best thing about it.

Thanks again!

www.youtube.com/perifractic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Great to see someone still exploring the Amiga and seeing what it can achieve.

It does still amaze me how much people have managed to get the Amiga to do over the years.. and still achieving new things.

What i really like about your video though is you are exporting using currently available generic (not designed for the Amiga) hardware too get the Aniga online. That's a huge plus because working vintage expansions are becoming rare and expensive. Having an off the shelf solution is great for enthusiasts.
    Agreed and much appreciated mate! I'll keep pursuing and sharing. Make sure you subscribe 😉👍🕹️

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    I enjoyed the video.

I had my A500 Plus online about 10 years ago. It was easy enough with a dialup modem, but I'd need something a bit more modern these days. I read about using a Raspberry Pi running Linux as a kind of 'modem emulator', but I haven't got round to trying it out yet.
    Let us know how you get on.

Thanks everyone!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post

I loved Terrorpods, but only because it was the first Amiga game I bought myself from a convention at Earl's Court and I drooled over the box art all the way home on the tube. Ultimately the box was the best thing about it.

Hmmm, I never got further than building the remote control missile and/or blowing things up, then fixing them and quickly running out of 'energy' or whatever the resources were. Or aiming for the static mothership that hovered menacingly above the entire playfield.

I understand that the little rover was meant to be used to trade resources or summat between the little stations. I was always curious though, the game had quite a lonely yet intriguing kind of atmosphere; but sadly was more fun to think about than to actually play (it was a bit boring really). Also, it reminded me a little of the BBC series The Tripods.