Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek Discovery

Have you seen the first 2 episodes yet? Available on Netflix outside the usa.

I enjoyed it so far. Really polished and nice visuals and effects. Cinematography was closer to the recent films than the obvious studio sets of old. And I really like the darker style.

Actors seem a good selection so far, but we haven't seen the new captain or the makeup of the eventual crew yet.

There is just one issue i have and a lot of Star Trek fans are talking about it. The reimagining of the Klingons. Why have they messed with the longest established alien species in the franchise? I realise their desire to make aliens look more alien, but don't mess with the established ones. Reserve that for new encounters. The Klingons don't look anything like they should. No hair and more reptilian. Even the Klingon language felt less guttural and the pronunciation less clear and different. I Haven't been able to get my head around their new look yet.

At least they haven't messed with the Valcans.

And I really like the new effects for long range holo-communication and transportation.

Looking forward to seeing what the new Discovery looks like. The initial ship was hinted at being old with dated tech such as the transporters.

I also hope they don't focus completely on the Klingon cold war and actually return the franchise to exploration.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Saw a trailer now during an NFL game, didn't know that it was coming, and I have to admit, I'm not a Star Trek fan a all. Although, I started watching the latest movie trilogy from J.J. Abrams, so far I only watched the first one from 2009, and I have to say that I think it was great. Still have to watch the other 2 (Beyond and Into Darkness), which I also have in 3D, might be worth watching in 3D.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you like the newer films then you might like this new series because it has a very similar look and feel. It's also set in a timeframe before kirk or the newer films so you don't even need to know any trek history or characters.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Episode 3 released today. Wow! That was good.

This is not following the traditional Trek series formula at all. Fast paced, much darker. Verging on Scifi Horror. Yes horror! I couldn't let my son watch it. Even if you traditionally didn't like ST it's well worth giving it a go. Far better than I has even hoped for. Finally realising thy ST universe in a mature way with enough money to give it the Scifi special effects and actors it deserves.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds indeed interesting.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mildly interested in this. The last "new" Star Trek movie (ST: Beyond) was a bit of a letdown, but I thought the previous two were decent.

Skipped the Enterprise series entirely, so it really has been ages since I last watched Star Trek on TV.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's still keeping it's momentum with the 6th episode. Much darker and the characters have some backgrounds to uncover.

Something else i like is the decision to not make it retro to fit the timeline. It's 100 years after Enterprise and 10 years before the original Kirk series. They could have made it look like a cross between the 2 but instead they have made it as futuristic as possible including having a holodeck and shuttles that look as advanced as the later series.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Deb & I are both Loving it!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.