Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual monitors

Hybrid View

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Dual monitors

Today during a bit of tidying, got a new cupboard, I noticed that my "old" monitor was still standing there. So I decided to hook it up for use as a 2nd monitor. And it is just awesome, have to say, I never used that before, although now I absolutely don't know why I didn't?

Now I can also very clearly see the difference between the new Dell and my old one, wow Better colors, more brightness, a LOT crisper, such a huge difference. My old one seems very yellowish with a light/white background, f.ex. in explorer.

I have now the main Dell to my left, and in the middle the Samsung. It's perfect, as at the moment I still work a lot with folders, extracting, copying, moving and that stuff, whilst on my Dell I can now easily browse the net or watch something without clicking windows all the time.

So I now decided to buy another Dell, then they will fit perfectly together. Problem, not really, is that the Dell only has HDMI and no DVI, and my old HD5770 only has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI, but you can easily just buy a HDMI to DVI cable. I thinks there's no purpose on buying a new GPU for the old PC, although the GTX 1050 with 2 HDMI ports is only 130€.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You've never run a dual monitor setup? Once you have the is no going back! It makes managing and moving things so much easier. I've been using a dual monitor setup since the late 90s but have since been running a three monitor setup for a long time.

I also noticed the same about slightly yellow looking whites on an old monitor when a last purchased a new one. Shows how the backlights either degrade over time, or were not as white as you thought.

Yoy can try adjusting the colour temperature settings on the monitor if it has that setting. Helped for my older monitor.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @DC I've not used Freecommander for a long time. Will have to take another look.

@JT. I know what you mean. So many people using IT daily in their work are clueless. They don't seem to have any motivation or inquisitive nature to explore beyond the applications and tools they are required to use for their jobs. I don't get how so many people are happy to go through life without exploring or questioning everything.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll reply in more detail later but one of the things that bugs me is when people ask why I have 'two computers'. I currently feel, admittedly somewhat disproportionately, enraged about this

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    I'll reply in more detail later but one of the things that bugs me is when people ask why I have 'two computers'. I currently feel, admittedly somewhat disproportionately, enraged about this
    Just why do you have two computers?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Was supposed to get it today, unfortunately I only got the cable in this delivery. So hopefully tomorrow.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    Just why do you have two computers?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    <snip>

@JT. I know what you mean. So many people using IT daily in their work are clueless. They don't seem to have any motivation or inquisitive nature to explore beyond the applications and tools they are required to use for their jobs. I don't get how so many people are happy to go through life without exploring or questioning everything.

It's called "Tools" for Tools m8.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have both of them set up now, but there's one thing already bugging me.

The new screen seems more yellowish, not complete white, noticing it quite well in explorer.

The 2nd screen also shows, from the OSD, Resolution: 1920*1080, whereas the other one shows Resolution: 1080p.

First is connected via HDMI, and as my GPU doesn't have 2 HDMI inputs, the other newer monitor is now connected via a HDMI to DVI cable.

OSD settings on both screens are absolutely identical, plus color calibration also has been done identically.

Only thing what I think of, is that I use an 18pin HDMI to DVI cable (single link), but there are 24pin HDMI to DVI cables (dual link) existing, does anyone have experience with this?

The setup is great, but I'm quite fussy when it's not 100% like I would want it to be.

Also strangely enough, my first monitor's color is set to YPbPr? The second one RGB, which seems more normal to me. If I change it, I get strange colors.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 22nd May 2017 at 15:06.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are only running 1080p you don't need a dual link DVI cable. They are only for resolutions above 1960 if I remember correctly. My Dell 27" needs one for its 2560x1440 resolution.

As the 2 monitors are identical swap the connection over to see if its the connection or the new monitor.

Don't you have any DVI or Displayport ports on your graphics card? Would give better output.