Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual monitors

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Dual monitors

Today during a bit of tidying, got a new cupboard, I noticed that my "old" monitor was still standing there. So I decided to hook it up for use as a 2nd monitor. And it is just awesome, have to say, I never used that before, although now I absolutely don't know why I didn't?

Now I can also very clearly see the difference between the new Dell and my old one, wow Better colors, more brightness, a LOT crisper, such a huge difference. My old one seems very yellowish with a light/white background, f.ex. in explorer.

I have now the main Dell to my left, and in the middle the Samsung. It's perfect, as at the moment I still work a lot with folders, extracting, copying, moving and that stuff, whilst on my Dell I can now easily browse the net or watch something without clicking windows all the time.

So I now decided to buy another Dell, then they will fit perfectly together. Problem, not really, is that the Dell only has HDMI and no DVI, and my old HD5770 only has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI, but you can easily just buy a HDMI to DVI cable. I thinks there's no purpose on buying a new GPU for the old PC, although the GTX 1050 with 2 HDMI ports is only 130€.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You've never run a dual monitor setup? Once you have the is no going back! It makes managing and moving things so much easier. I've been using a dual monitor setup since the late 90s but have since been running a three monitor setup for a long time.

I also noticed the same about slightly yellow looking whites on an old monitor when a last purchased a new one. Shows how the backlights either degrade over time, or were not as white as you thought.

Yoy can try adjusting the colour temperature settings on the monitor if it has that setting. Helped for my older monitor.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just ordered another S2715H

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I was using FreeCommander again since longer time, and I noticed that they upgraded it in January 2017, it's called XE now. You still get it for free, but with a donation of only 4.50€ you'll get the 64bit version. So I did that, as I anyway want to support the guy and his project.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    At home i have my laptop connected to a Sansung TV (fullhd) and a 4:3 old monitor. This last one doesn't go to fullHD.

So my setup is:
    -main monitor (laptop) at center (fullhd)
    -right monitor (sansung TV) fullhd connect by HDMI
    -left monitor (lg 4:3 monitor) 1366x768 connected by VGA.

I love it. I have the browser on my right monitor, the file-explorer on my left monitor, and i work the rest in center monitor. Really great.

It's also cool for same games. Flight Simulator as example, you can flight on main screen, and use the others to display instruments of other views.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had a bit of fun with dual monitors before, but I don't use such a setup normally.

To be honest, I think I'd rather have a larger & higher resolution monitor than dual monitors.

I can see it being handy for applications like GIMP (and similar). In fact, maybe I should try it next time I need to do some serious work in GIMP. I do have a spare DVI LCD monitor which I could use.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find dual monitors super useful. I've got two 27" monitors on my desk at work (running off a laptop). I love having two screens, it makes comparison work, or using multiple applications a breeze.

However, there is a cost as well as a benefit. Sometimes having so much open at once is detrimental to my concentration. Every now and then I need to focus solely on one task so I unplug the laptop and work at the other desk in my office.

- - - Updated - - -

It also feels really pro, flinging windows over to another screen, or snapping them to halves (left/right or even top/bottom) or quarters (corners) using a window management tool like Magnet (MacOS).

A lot of the staff here are frankly not very IT savvy (I'm the 'best at computers' in our facility by a mile) so to them it is a thing of wonder even to see the mouse pointer move off the edge of one screen and appear on the one next to it.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @DC I've not used Freecommander for a long time. Will have to take another look.

@JT. I know what you mean. So many people using IT daily in their work are clueless. They don't seem to have any motivation or inquisitive nature to explore beyond the applications and tools they are required to use for their jobs. I don't get how so many people are happy to go through life without exploring or questioning everything.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll reply in more detail later but one of the things that bugs me is when people ask why I have 'two computers'. I currently feel, admittedly somewhat disproportionately, enraged about this

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I get similar, or if anyone sees my office at home comment "do you need all those monitors?". It's one of those jokes getting very thin.

I still know people whom still can't comprehend that the monitor is not the computer.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    I'll reply in more detail later but one of the things that bugs me is when people ask why I have 'two computers'. I currently feel, admittedly somewhat disproportionately, enraged about this
    Just why do you have two computers?