Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Mate I'm still waiting to upgrade my AMD 64x2 PC. Pretty much any piece of crap I could buy nowadays would run rings around it, but I just can't bring myself to buy from the really 'low end' even if technically it would be better than what I have now.

To be fair though, my PC has been unplugged for probably over 20 months.

I use my work laptop (an MBP), which is a far more recent spec, if I need to do anything significant. I have a PC laptop somewhere in the house, or maybe the garage. I'm not really sure where it is to be honest
    You got me wrong fella.... Not you.....

Wait a bit longer.....? ?

bw-blackwhite-sad-skull-Favim.com-3919410.jpg

......Steve!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you guys have any opinion on AMD's latest offerings? I've heard quite a lot of good things about their new Ryzen processors.

Regarding Intel, is there much difference between, say, a lower end current generation processor (e.g. i3), and a several generations old high end processor (e.g. i7)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't advise AMD to anyone, but RE Intel i3, i5 & i7 series, there are older versions of all of them.

In terms of performance, i7 is the best of the series with more cores & bigger cache's, whereas i3 the lowest of the series. But then in each series, you get different chip speeds also effecting their respective performance.

Also, with every generation of Intel CPU being released, there is usually a Chip-set change as well, sometimes with more or less Pin contacts in the CPU socket. Now you know this, just don't think you can put any generation of i7 CPU on any i7 capable board. The socket has to be the right one.
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 14th June 2017 at 09:32. Reason: Typo
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are not a gamer Then an i3 with hyperthreading is fine. If you wanted to do more multitasking then a quad core i5 would perform better. The i7 is obviously the highest end with 4 or more core, hyperthreading and more cache, but only worth it if you are a gamer or do a lot of things like video editing, rendering etc...

I'm still running an older gen i3 in my download and streaming server and it's a great cpu. I also use the built in GPU to run a dual monitor setup. Nice cpus.

Intel chips are fairly future proof too. I'm still running an i7 2600k clocked at 4GHz with 32GB ram and it's still perfectly good for current games. I've just needed to upgrade the GPU over time to keep up.

An SSD hd really makes a difference to overall system usage roo.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been thinking about getting a new PC again.

What SSDs do people recommend now? I notice that smaller ones are quite cheap now. I might get an SSD to put in my current machine for the time being.

I've been considering something with a small form factor case to save space. I might donate my current full size ATX case to my AmigaOne G4.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are not a gamer then a small form factor PC is quite a good choice. You can get some great setups these days and have decent gpu and audio built in. SSDs are the way to go for the boot drive. Depending on what OS you will be using will dictate the minimise size needed. Anything less than 128GB for Windows would be pointless f.ex. regarding make I normally always buy Samsung EVO. The Pro versions are not worth the extra money.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just ordered a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great choice. They are a very good price for the size.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You'll like it Steve. I have a Samsung SSD (I think it's an EVO but with a different number, 840 or 850 perhaps, cba to check) and it's just fine for standard use. You can see that I'm far from benchmark-obsessed

Another thing that I like about SSDs is that without the moving parts it doesn't really matter if you just plug them in and chuck it in the case any old where if you can't be bothered to put them into the usual HDD bays

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair though, my PC has been unplugged for probably over 20 months.

I use my work laptop (an MBP), which is a far more recent spec, if I need to do anything significant. I have a PC laptop somewhere in the house, or maybe the garage. I'm not really sure where it is to be honest
    Fans of ennui will be pleased (or maybe not, whatever) to hear that the PC still remains unplugged and the windows laptop location remains, uh, uncertain.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Another thing that I like about SSDs is that without the moving parts it doesn't really matter if you just plug them in and chuck it in the case any old where if you can't be bothered to put them into the usual HDD bays
    You mean you shouldn't do that with HDDs?