I have the Eur 9,99/month.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I currently pay £6.99 for the premium in uk as I got it through a special offer via my Samsung smart tv.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Problem is (was) that my Yamaha RX-A840 does not support HDCP 2.2, because lately Netflix uses that protection. The model after mine, the 850 already does it, bummer. So today I went to the shop, spent 1100€, and bought the new model, the 870.

Will set it up later or tomorrow, also have to change the long HDMI cable to the Beamer, from 1.4 to 2.0 HDMI, otherwise it won’t work. Well Netflix probably will, as 1.4 is fine for 4K, but you need 2.0 for HDR, so the PS4 Pro also gets its update

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Problem is (was) that my Yamaha RX-A840 does not support HDCP 2.2, because lately Netflix uses that protection. The model after mine, the 850 already does it, bummer. So today I went to the shop, spent 1100€, and bought the new model, the 870.

Will set it up later or tomorrow, also have to change the long HDMI cable to the Beamer, from 1.4 to 2.0 HDMI, otherwise it won’t work. Well Netflix probably will, as 1.4 is fine for 4K, but you need 2.0 for HDR, so the PS4 Pro also gets its update
    That's quite an expensive uograde! Hope it works.

I had issues with long hdmi cables. My ps3 didn't like it and refused to run i n 1080p without flickering. Had to run it in 1080i but in all honesty i couldn't tell the difference. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My cable to the Beamer is 12.5m, it’s an Orion, and it works well with everything I have. Now I bought an Orion again, same length, ultimate version of it, for 35€, which is still cheap, my friend at the shop sells Supra MET-S High-Speed cables, where the 12m version costs 190€, quite a difference. But he told me to test mine first, if it doesn’t work, he will borrow me one of his to test.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In my experience all HDMI cables regardless of price are all pretty much the same. And the comparison reviews I've read all reach the same conclusions.

This is because HDMI is a digital signal and as such it will either work or not. In the old days of analogue signals it was very different because cable quality really did affect the output due to interference and signal degradation. I paid something like £50 per scart cable back in the 90s to get the best s-video image quality for editing. But with digital signals that's not the case and a £5 cable will provide an identical signal to a £50 one if they work.

I think i paid about £35 For my 10m hdmi cable about 3 or 4 years ago and that worked fine other than the ps3 not liking 1080p though it, but that might have been because the ps3 was going through my av amp before outputting through the 10m cable to the tv. I just don't think the ps3 liked it going through 2 devices due to protocols. As i said before it worked fine in 1080i and i couldn't see the difference. Had it been on a plasma screen i probably could buy on my 40" lcd i couldn't see any difference. Had no similar issues with xbox; that ran fine in 1080p on the same setup.

I do think the one area where extensive cables might be a must is newer protocols and encryption because some cheaper cables can struggle due to less shielding. But its trial and error. Your new cheaper cable might handle it fine but you never know till it's tested.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, cable makes strange things, NVidia Shield doesn't display anything, PS4 doesn't show HDR. Going to my shop tomorrow with Shield and cable to test.

Edit: Actually I got it working, after browsing through the manual, the Yamaha has advanced settings, some button presses on the front panel and you’re in, and there you find an HDMI mode setting, which was at 1, so I tried mode 2, which made everything work fine, although I read that in this mode it’s only working in 4K/30 Hz, not 60Hz.

For mode 1 it says you’ll need high speed HDMI cable for full support? My Beamer though shows me 4K/60 when it switches to Netflix or PS4. Have to test with a more powerful cable, will get one borrowed to test, gonna take my cable for testing to the shop.

PS4 shows HDCP 2.2 now with HDR support, but still shows some stuff not supported in HDR, which makes me think it might still be a cable related problem. Plus YUV420 is available only, not RGB, or 444 signal.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 13th November 2017 at 17:08.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I went to test my cable today, and guess what, it didn't work there neither. Tested with a 10m Supra cable he has, and it worked. Installed even the JVC beamer, to have identical set ups. He explained me the situation a bit, and says that indeed with today's HDR, 4K and all that stuff, long cables are a bit of a risk, and he explained further that it's mainly a problem of the HDMI in/outputs. He said that the PS4 f.ex. has a quite low output, and is not so powerful in sending the signal, whereas on the other side the JVC is quite fragile with its HDMI inputs, so when you attach a 12m cable to it, even it's not a real bad one, it might cause problems, which a better cable can overcome.

So I tested it at home, and it works, had even to put my Yamaha back to mode 1 (which I wanted), otherwise some HDR frequencies would not be supported. Beamer switches itself to HDR configuration if it gets the signal. Now it also shows me the 2160 RGB signal. Full HDR support is guaranteed.

4K UHD documentaries on YouTube look amazing!!! Wow, you can clearly see a difference, never thought it would be that visible.

Would the XBox One X be available, I would get one, but so far here in Luxembourg I had no luck in getting hold of one, sold out everywhere, only some people who reserved it, got theirs. Or they didn't get any yet at all. But one shop today told me that they'll probably get some delivered tomorrow morning, so I will try my luck again.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go to youtube and search for "best 4k demo" and similar stuff. You can also try 8K videos that look very nice on 4K Tvs.
    I am watching some 4k stuff on netflix and they look great.

HDMI cables are all the same, it's digital, so there are no such things as in analog era where cable could be better then others. If its digital, or you have signal or you don't have. There is no such thing as this cable is better then this. But cables with a big size are something different because of resistance. (different from quality image).
    As any other cable, after some meters, signal may became week. If you put a multimeter in resistance mode, and you measure one pin in one end to the other pin in the other end, you will see that the lenght will affect resistance of signal. That should occur after 10 meters. So the quality of a hdmi cable will one affect cases like yours, where you have a very big cable. For a "normal" one with 1,5 to 3 meters you will not see any difference, no matter what a publicity can say about it, it's all the same.
    There are some devices that repeat the signal. That could be a solution.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've read mixed reviews of hdmi repeaters. I expect the more expensive longer hdmi cables are using lower resistance wiring containing things like gold to reduce signal lose. I think the hdmi spec is meant to allow 15m lengths though.

Another alternative to consider is hdmi over ethernet. It's a more expensive setup but you can have 50m distances. Great for video distribution around a whole house.