Thread: Nintendo Switch

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nintendo Switch

Is anyone interested in the Switch? Or have you even purchased one yet?

It's nice to see another high spec handheld released, although in reality it's a bit bulky to carry outside and an easy target for theft. Plus I'm not sure I would end up playing it much as a portable and just leave it docked as a home console.

It's hardware specs don't look that amazing compared to ps4 and xbox one, as it's tech is firmly based on smartphone hardware, but the initial releases look to be traditionally well polished first party games.

One advantage of the hardware is that many developers already know it from mobilephone development, but then the other consoles have the big advantage of pc based tech, which is a lot more powerful and there is a lot more experience.

The obvious release game I'm interested in is Zelda, and it does look really nice. However it's also a swansong release on the outgoing Wii U. I still don't own one of those either, however there were a couple of games I wanted to play on that so I'm wondering if i would be better off buying a cheap Wii U and playing Zelda on that for now.

Are you tempted by the Switch?

Or do you think it's a bit of a pointless hybrid that's not quite a home console and not really a truly portable system either?

Have portable gaming systems had their day now we have smartphones?

Or do we play the waiting game and see how this system does?

I'm probably going to do the latter and wait and see. The ps4 and xbox haven't really had that many exclusives to really make them must have systems for anyone with a decent gaming pc. The Switch however might end up being one that does thanks to Nintendo always producing great first party games. If the Switch doesn't do well I can see this being their last home console and maybe changing to software development. It wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. I've always liked Nintendo hardware and they have been at the forefront in terms of controller design and ideas from most generations, but I don't see that as being so relevant now that PC, PS4 and Xbox hardware are all so mature and powerful. They could still develop controller hardware, even if not actual consoles.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm really excited about the Switch, I've been out of the gaming sphere for a while so would like something fun and bright that I could also slowly introduce the kids to.

The portability aspect appeals too, we only have one telly so if I could play and also give lady T the telly to watch whatever tripe it is she is into, it would be grand.

I'm at a point where overall graphics power isn't so important for me (I still think the Xbox 360 has pretty good graphics), I'm keener for games that have a distinctive art style - I quite like cel shading for example.

If I had the cash (and I really don't right now) I think I'd have climbed aboard the switch hype train already. Plus, I just loved the N64 Zeldas, and would like to visit that world again

- - - Updated - - -

I got HEAPS of enjoyment out of the DS lite too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's such a simple concept too. I quite like what I've seen of it.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not for me, liked already mentioned in another thread. Like JT mentioned, might be great if you have kids, but spending 400€ only to play Zelda, no way. My iPad Pro has even a lot better screen, and there's some good mobile games out, so I definitely don't need it just as a handheld, because then I will stick to my 7" JXD consoles where I can play all the retro stuff I want.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very true about the screen. All mobile phones now have at least a full HD resolution, and many much higher. It's on par with those cheap supermarket own brand tablets.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm of the opinion that resolution wars, especially on handheld devices, are getting far beyond diminishing returns and even perhaps a little self defeating.

At some point, a screen resolution is good enough. Extra pixels that can't really be distinguished just add unnecessary processor load and battery drain. Better that they have vibrant, rich yet accurate colour reproduction, good viewing angle, response time etc.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    True. However I noticed a huge difference going from a 4" mobile screen with about a 720p resolution, to a 5" screen with a 1440p resolution. The crispness of text was greatly improved.

I think the magic number from a crisp display is 300dpi. The Switch falls far short of this and has actually been having a lot of issues with stuck and dead pixels.