Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

What game would you like to see remade?

What favourite game or games would you like to see remade?

For me there were many games released on 16bit systems that had the creativity and passion, but the hardware wasn't quite there to fully realise the vision.

One I would love to see remade is Captain Blood. Imagine how they could realise that gaming universe now.

Another is the original Dune adventure game. Largely overlooked originally, with many only remember the predecessor to command and conquer (Dune II) as the only Dune based 16bit game. Slightly clunky to navigate and play but interesting all the same.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure I want to see any remade. They were games of that era, remaking them for a modern audience would mean changing it to suit that modern audience. It wouldn't be the same thing. I played the recent Shadow of The Beast remake and while it was interesting in many ways, it just wasn't the same thing. But on the other hand, if you'd made a game exactly like Shadow of The Beast today it would fail spectacularily. Because of the unfair difficulty, the way it can be rendered unwinnable if you don't do things in the right order, and because when you get right down to it the gameplay just wasn't good. We all loved it because it was a beautiful tech-demo really, but we would never accept a game like that today. And that's my point. A remake today is either too different from the original in order to be like modern games, or too much like the original so no modern gamer will touch it. It can't be done right, so I would rather just remember the old games for what they were and go back and play them occasionally, and enjoy the new games for what they are.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm kinda with Teho on this one H. I think they're best left where they were. Sure, the Graphics get a big bump but it was the game-play that made a game.

Alien Breed 3 "Descent" just wasn't right for me & Cannon Fodder 3 fell into the same slot.

However, there is one Game I would dearly love to see re-made.

Counter Strike (1999) as it was back in the Beta 5.2 days. Sure, skin it to hell & back with Pee Cee's these days but put the "hit" animations back into the game & the original Netcode as used by the Quake Engine.
    The currently used "hit-Box" 'bs' is shocking as is the prediction & Client-side function. - Meh!

I still get a bit of a fix from CS:S but CS:GO stinks.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I get what you both mean, and I agree that many remakes haven't been great. Speedball was another disappointment. I was so happy to see the game again that I preordered it, and it looked good, had the right atmosphere, but it suffered from really bad controller delay making it near impossible to play.

However there were still games for me that were great, but held back by hardware limitations. However I don't just want to see a straight remake, but a reimagining, taking the original as a starting point.

A good example of how to do this right was the recent remake of the original Oddworld game. They got that spot on.

Equally the Another World remake where you can switch between original and new graphics worked really well.

And finally as an example of my idea on how to take a retro game and reimagine it for current hardware was Satellite Reign.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's true, for many old games the limitations of the hardware certainly guided the development - perhaps the old tech defined those games, so they simply wouldn't translate well for modern tech or audiences. Also, as game development has swollen in complexity it's led to more more polish for sure, but also a lot of the rough edges of character or quirkiness have been sanded away. Or maybe committee-designed out. Games and big software houses, are just so big and complex nowadays. Maybe it'll be the smaller and more agile 'indie' type developers that will be able to recapture some of that 16-bit era spirit.

But, off the top of my head:

Syndicate, and not as an FPS

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post

Equally the Another World remake where you can switch between original and new graphics worked really well.
    That worked brilliantly on the monkey island updates that came out a few years back. I think I ran through MI1 on both the iPad and the Xbox as I loved it so much. Beneath a Steel Sky was excellent on iOS also - it would've sucked to run that on floppys (*checks* - wow, 15 disks!)

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @JT Take a look at the game, Satellite Reign, I mentioned above. It's the spiritual sucessor to Syndicate. I think you will be pleased. It's on both Steam and GOG.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would like to see Projectyle (what else), but have to say that Rocket League comes pretty close, only missing the 5 different areas on 1 field, and the 1v1v1 mode.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    @JT Take a look at the game, Satellite Reign, I mentioned above. It's the spiritual sucessor to Syndicate. I think you will be pleased. It's on both Steam and GOG.

Oh I get it, like the weapon 'satellite rain' from syndicate wars. Neat. I'll have a look at that. It should run on my (work) macbook hopefully.

Oh wait, 40 bucks... I'm quite poor at the moment. it can wait a while.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep an eye on it as I grabbed it for £12 just after release on a gog sale.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a more appealing price. Honestly though I don't know when I'd get much time to play it. My consoles and computers just don't get gamed on and haven't for a while.