Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Europe Freeze!

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    -30.....?!?!? how do you live with that?? I have +2c and almost die... The minimum temperature i saw was -5c at 3000 meters in switzerland, and i was afraid that my ears would fall to the ground. -5c was the limit for me. Everyone around was fine, but could barely breath... the air in my lungs was to cold for what my body is used to.
    I cannot even imagine what is -30....
    but in the other point of the scale, i know what is >40șc... in some areas in Portugal, 3 years ago, i got +46șc .... thats hot !
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It just depends what you are used to and your ethnic background. Someone I work with has Spanish parents and he's wearing a coat and scarf at work and still shivering.

It's been -1 to -9 here most evenings for the past month but I'm not that bothered by it. I still wear just a Tshirt most of the time and just put a jacket on outside and only think it's slightly chilly. And I think I can breath much better in cold weather. Some of my family originate from Scotland so I suppose I have cold tolerance built in. :-)

As for hot weather I don't like it so much. I'm only really comfortable with 20 Deg. Anything warmer and I really don't like it. 30 Deg and I'm nearly dying. Although when in Italy and Greece I didn't mind 40 Deg so much because it was dry heat. But I still couldn't live somewhere as hot.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ thread

I've worked in -50 with ice on my Goatee & eye lashes. Not for the faint hearted & so glad when it was over after 9 months.

@ Teho

Just the same for us here in the UK. Born in West Yorkshire back in '62, Winters were Winters back then, even through into the late 70's & early 80's. - But since then, the seasons are messed up with late Autumns & no real Winter to speak of because it's too mild. However, despite Winters being milder, Cornwall's bloom of Spring Flowers like Daffodils & Snow Drops usually show up in early January. This has not been the case for the last 7 or 8 years & we don't see them now until March/April, much like it use to be when I lived further North in Yorkshire.
    Thank Dog we still have our Palm Trees down here.

@ thread

I see central Italy have had a #5 Earthquake which is believed to be the cause of a massive Avalanche engulfing an entire Hotel. Apparently, one wing of the Hotel has moved 10 Metre's off it's foundations!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38685489
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 20th January 2017 at 10:26. Reason: Typo's
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its been quite warm up here (for the time of year). Its been less than 10C and we only had a few days after Christmas when it was very cold.

Looks like the next few days will be a bit chilly, but certainly nothing extreme.

I don't care much for extremely cold or extremely hot. At least when its cold, you can put extra clothes on, or turn the heating on. I think the hottest place I've been to was Barbados. I didn't cope too well with the heat there (although it was fine if you're in the sea). English summers are usually fine temperature wise; the only problem being the heat inside the house.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    the only problem being the heat inside the house.
    Having a bit of the same problem here, once the house is heated up, it's quite difficult to get rid of it. I hate it most during the night, as you can't sleep at all if it's too hot. Absolutely hate when it starts getting over 28 degrees. Best is probably sunny plus around 25 degrees.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Agree with that. Hot nights in the summer are never good.

I see they have found survivors in that Italian hotel which is good news. They were lucky.

@kin. The daffodils and snow drops were out in our garden and wood in February last year. I think it was warmer this time last year though so I wait to see when they arrive this year. There are already shoots from the bubs though so they are starting. As are the bluebells, although I'm not letting the whole woods become bluebells this year as there were too many last. I've kept mowing to reduce them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aye, hot nights are a sod to deal with here too. I don't think anyone can stand heat in the night when trying to sleep.

& marvellous news hearing there are some survivors from the Hotel in Italy. I hope they find more soon.

@ H

Yes indeed, your new property certainly had it's own "meadows-worth" of bluebells for sure. So very pretty though Dave.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They did look lovely but once they were over the amount of foliage I had to clear was a lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rubber bands H. U have access to shed loads in the Post Office.

Once the bluebells start to wither, leave them planted & grab into a bunch pulling lightly upwards. Fold downwards half the stems height & put a band on them.

Makes tidying up much easier later on.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Too many to do that. Plus each clump of foliage was over a foot across and there must have been hundreds of clumps.

This year in just allowing them around the bottom each the trees and in the out of way places.