Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Europe Freeze!

Downloads
    Uploads

Europe Freeze!

WOW!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXmTwFsR28

Global Warming.... We haven't seen anything yet!

@ Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Lucky bastards, we have full of rain, but no snow as usual. Hey Charlie, pack me some snow and send it to Crete please.
    From this thread: http://forum.classicamiga.com/forum/...ll=1#post51331

You have your own now bud.
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 10th January 2017 at 12:36.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm rather surprised no one finds this almost Epic weather event interesting/alarming/concerning???

The day after the evening this happened, the 6am BBC News showed pictures of Greek beaches covered with 50 - 75mm of snow. They repeat the same half hour slot with updates right through to 9am.
    They never showed those pics again.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I just checked Athens today at weather.com/de and it says 15 degrees +, so the least I can say is that I find your posted video a bit suspicious when I watched it. Finland seems to have their warmest winters since some years, so it might be just the opposite.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Greece definitely had an unexpected snow fall recently because they were worried about the refugee camps on some of the islands. But I expect the weather has changed since.

It is strange that the news never reported on it again though as Charlie said.

It was due to a very cold air steam which moved down lower then normal. Weather forecasts thought it was going to move up and cause heavy snow in the south of England but that never happened.

It has been between -6 and -10 Deg C here in the south at night and around -2 to +3 in thr daytime so pretty cold. No sign of snow though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    It has been between -6 and -10 Deg C here in the south at night and around -2 to +3 in thr daytime so pretty cold. No sign of snow though.
    EXACTLY the same here! Although the north of Luxembourg had 20-30cm of snow last weekend. They said that this night it could drop to -15 maximum.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Today in PT - Lisbon i got +6c at 8:00 AM. For Lisbon is quite cold. In the north of Portugal we can get -7 in some areas. but average temperature in winter is not that low.
    During the day here in Lisbon, after 11:00AM you get from + 12 to +20C in winter in a lot of days. And you can have +25 some days.
    The weather is not that cold as rest of Europe. We only have one spot in the country that has constant snow, and it's above 1500m, the rest of it has a bit o rain, some cold, but usually is blue sky. for example, right now, here in Lisbon it's is +13 and we dont have a single cloud. 100% blue sky, it's even hard to open your eyes outside.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And that is why many from the UK go on winter holidays to Portugal. :-)

Personally I don't mind the cold weather. I also like the fact it allows the garden to die right back so I can get to everything and clear it out a bit.

Also love how the landscape changes in thr uk so much in the Winter. Leaves not on the trees. Everything dies back. Frost on everything in the morning.

It's also great having log fires in cold evenings. We had an open fire reinstated in our living room end of last year as the old owners had blocked it up. And just a couple of weeks ago had the dinning room fireplace opened up and a wood burning stove installed. Free to run as we have our own woods and it heats the whole downstairs. Love looking at the wood burning. I also learnt that a wood burner is classed as 0 CO2 because the trees you are burning actually absorb more CO2 than they emit when burnt in a wood burner. Also means I don't spend any money on central heating.

I will post pictures of my house renovations in a separate thread once it's slightly more finished. I'm hoping to get most finished by March.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Harrison; 18th January 2017 at 14:06.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the BBC report. The opening two pics of parasols on Greek beaches with snow are the images they first showed on the 6 am news as I described earlier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38550369

Let the Auto play follow on with the weather report.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was talking about the good weather here in PT, and guess what... It snow a bit in Algarve !! I am shocked. Algarve is in the south, the weather is always good there.
    One area near the beach... snow!
    This is crazy, today the temperature dropped a lot. I left home with +1c. North of Portugal got in some areas -7c .... I don't have proper clothes for less then 3c or 4c.
    Lisbon at 05.00 was -4c ....
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    About not having the proper clothes, we have a saying here: "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing!" This from a country that can see sun and a blue sky one moment, and grey clouds and sideways rain the next.

That said, Norway's winter has been record breaking warm so far. This week has been one of the coldest with -2 to -8 celsius and icy roads. But earlier the temperature has mostly been on the plus side, and that is abnormal for Norway. But the latest winters have all been fairly warm with little snowfall. Not proper winters at all. I posted a picture of the first snowfall back in november, looked promising then. But that snow was gone in a week, and it's been nothing but rain ever since. The last proper winter was five or six years ago, but that one was crazy in the other direction with massive amounts of snow and temperatures dropping to -30 for many weeks even here down south in Norway. But in the years before that the winters were warm as well. Strange times, when I was young we used to have winters with nice and average snowfall and temperatures generally ranging from -10 to -20 in the coldest period almost every year. Seems forever now since the last time it was like that.