Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

VR headsets - long term use.

Since the rise of recent VR Headsets for PC, and now the launch of the Playstation VR, I've been interested in the technology for racing, flight Sim and space games. However I've also been wondering if anyone had done a long term study on the implications of long term use.

You are after all strapping a light tight box to your face with light emitting screens right in front of your eyes. I can't believe there isn't some long term issues with eyesight using this technology, however I've heard no mention of this concern anywhere.

Has anyone read anything about the long term use of VR Headsets?

There has been the common report of nausea due to VR motion messing with your senses due to your body not actually moving, and also a sense of disorientation when taking the headsets off after a long gaming session, because the brain and eyes need to readjust to the sudden change in perception.

The question therefore is how safe in terms of mental and physical health, as well as eyesight, is the long term use of VR headsets?

I might try to do some research into this as I would really like to know. And also try to contact the manufacturers and other industry and medical organisations to ask some questions.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got my PlayStation VR headset for my birthday, the 13th of October, also release date.

I tried several games and stuff, and I think it's quite amazing. Only felt slight nausea so far with REZ Infinite, but only some stuff, and then for about 2-3 seconds. Driveclub is quite nice, and doesn't give me nausea.

Only thing which I noticed, is that the image is quite blurry at times, when you have to read text, it can be quite difficult to read. Or in Battlezone, when looking around in your cockpit, you barely can read the text on your screen or instruments.

But I read that it can be adjusted via IPD settings of the headset, which measures your eye distance, which everybody has different. Gonna still try that out. But I guess you cannot get completely rid of blurriness as the hardware might not allow it.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. I've read about the blurring too.

Did you also see some people have got it working with the pc as a virtual desktop by feeding the VR headset an HDMI input from the pc? You should try it.

I'm tempted once I get a PS4 pro next month. I'm especially interested in Drive club and the forthcoming Gran Turismo VR.

I would love one of the ones for PC for Elite and racing games, but I think they are too expensive at the moment when the pc technology is going to move on pretty quickly. I definitely think Sony are on to a winner by under cutting the competition so much.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!