Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

PS Now coming to PC and Xbox Anywhere

Sony have announced they are bringing PS Now to PC, allowing pc gamers to play many PS3 games on pc for the first time.

This service is already running on PS4, allowing its owners to play PS3 games. However it is a streaming subscription service, whereby you play games streaming online and you don't download or install anything. So only any good if you have broadband capable of 15Mbps minimum. I've bit heard anything about Vita support, anyone know as that would be cool?

Sony have also shown a wireless USB adapter to use a PS4 controller on pc with this service.

This announcement comes at the same time Microsoft announce Play Anywhere and their plan that all future xbox games will be released cross platform on both pc and xbox one. You will be able to play against players on both platforms and have the ability to switch between platforms whilst retaining your saves and settings. We don't yet know if you only have to buy the game once to access them in both platforms, or have to purchase twice. Great to think that future first party games such as Forza, Halo and Gears of War will be on PC. Finally able to play them utilising much higher PC specs.

Of these 2 the Xbox one announcement is definitely more interesting for current gamers, having access to new titles across both platforms. For Playstation I can't see it being quite so popular due to its subscription nature of $100 per year and owning nothing. But interesting to play older titles, plus it opens up using PS NOW to deliver PS3 games on more devices. Even built into standalone smart TVs. Could be a good service for children's bedrooms or playrooms. And possibly great for public spaces.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only thing that springs to mind immediately about this, is the "crap-ness" of console Port-overs to the PC platform.

Consequently, I can see much more "crap" now being available for the PC.
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 11th September 2016 at 11:08.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They are not ports though. As with the PS4 and Vita, the PC version of PS Now will run the games on their servers and stream, so you never actually download the game, but okay it on the server, using your pc as a terminal. This means games will be locked to their original resolution and framerate as originally on the PS3.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW the latest Final Fantasy ports to PC have actually been spot on and they have spent time updating and cleaning them up, rather than just dumping the game straight over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    & I only just saw your PM mate.......

Soooooooo sorry.......

....but....

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    They are not ports though. As with the PS4 and Vita, the PC version of PS Now will run the games on their servers and stream, so you never actually download the game, but okay it on the server, using your pc as a terminal. This means games will be locked to their original resolution and framerate as originally on the PS3.

Locked to the PS3 Resolution @ 60Hz?

Why would anyone with a rig that can do 144Hz @ 2560 x 1440 & hold 144 fps with all the eye candy Maxxed out, want to do such a thing??

You can not play shooters properly @ 60Hz/60fps.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Remember PS Now is a server streaming game service, meaning you are in effect playing a PS3 over an internet connection. The system you are accessing it from is irrelevant as it's basically acting as a server terminal. You can play the games using a PS4, Vita and soon PC. The real opportunity is for pc gamers who have never owned a Playstation to gain access to some of the exclusive titles. If you played them on a PS3 originally the framerate and resolution would be the same so you are playing them as intended. Console games are designed taking the locked hardware into account, much like developers used to on retro systems, so whilst a 30 or 60 fps rate on a current pc game might be an issue and effect gameplay, it won't on a console in the same way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd have to see it to believe it. But when PS4 is now £299, just go buy an old PS3 for around fifty bucks & be done with it.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But many people just want a single current gen console under their tv. Not everyone is as sensible as us horders

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    PS Now never launched in Norway so I've never even considered it. And Norway isn't included among the launch countries for this PC launch either, but that is of course easily remedied.

Since I've owned most Playstations since their launch I'm not personally very interested. But it is an interesting idea. There are plenty of PC gamers that never owned a console and that has never had a chance to play exclusives. Not just Playstation exclusives but console exclusives like Red Dead Redemption which PC gamers have been crying for a port of for years. But on the whole I don't believe PS Now on PC will be as successful as Sony hopes it will be. I don't see there being that much interest among individual users beyond a small number of titles they are curious about. And while I don't recall the cost of this service I do remember it struck me as expensive when I saw it.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have PS Now beta version, but all the games that are available, I have anyway, as I have around 300 games for the PS3, and my PS3 is still set up. So not so interesting for me in the end.

I tried to play some though, and the streaming works quite well, although I guess you need a good connection.

They mainly have collections, like GoW, Killzone, Sly Cooper... not bad games at all, but I already played them.

They also have Ico and Shadow of the Colossus which I never finished though, might be an opportunity, but then again, I have so much other stuff to play, and also with slight priority.