Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Man's Sky

Hybrid View

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

No Man's Sky

So I wanted to open this thread, thanks to a reminder of Ghost, who quickly mentions it in another thread.

I have to say that in the beginning, when I heard about the game, I was blown away and quite looking forward to it. But now, I have to say, after all the hype, I have my doubts.

The main question of course is, does it really keep you playing for many many hours, or does it get boring after 10 hours in? At the moment I tend more to the latter.

Do the planets differ so much from each other. Infrastructure, vegetation, resources, fauna...? Is there enough to do? Any interaction with other players, or are there even NPCs?

F.ex. how are the animals/creatures generated? Is it like in Spore, or do you encounter the same ones over and over again, just in another color? I mean I don't want to collect green frogs, than red ones and then the same in blue. Might even be boring from beginning on.

Is there really enough happening in that universe? I like the idea of endless space, but I still want to have a goal to reach, perhaps without investing hundreds of hours.

I will wait for the first reviews, but I'm quite sure they will be very mixed, if not tending to be more negative than positive. Will see.

What are your thoughts?

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been interested since the game was first announced. But I've stayed away from the hype, haven't looked much at trailers and so on. I know the basics of it of course, but otherwise I don't want to know too much about it since I'll likely play it. I'll find out what the general opinion of it is before I buy it myself. My biggest concern is also how repetetive is it? I've heard that the ultimate goal is to reach the center of the universe, but it will take a long time to get there even if you head straight for it. If the random generation is diverse enough then I can deal with it, I've spent weeks exploring in Elite: Dangerous without getting bored for instance. But you need to come across something unique every now and then, a particularily strange terrain, a unique view or vista, something like that. It's enough for me, but others will demand much more than that to stay entertained. Gameplay wise you will probably see all it has to offer in a matter of hours, after that it's a question if the things you find are varied enough to sustain it. You know there aren't going be that many very different creatures, there'll be many similar ones with minute difference to make each of them a unique creature. The people who expect there to be thousands of vastly different variations are in for a disappointment. I expect the game to fare somewhat poorly in user reviews in the beginning for that reason alone, so I'll be taking those with a grain of salt at least.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No one knows yet (other than the guy who claimed he bought a ladled copy for 2k ams completed it in 100 hours).

They have shown official videos now of space combat, large structures.. possibly space stations, and more than just organic life on some planets. We will however just have to wait and see. I will be playing it regardless.

They did say in an interview that it is possible to bump into other players but it will be hard to. On a planet for example it will be the same physical size as a real planet. Imagine on Earth you are stood in America and another player is in India. They won't know they are both there and will likely never meet.

If that is the case I think the one area it will disappoint is the lack of multilayer. Although I Equally get bored and annoyed with pvp games so they are probably steering clear for that reason.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I still kind of have my doubts about this title. I have been playing several free roaming/sand box games such as Subnautica, and after a while I just became bored with it despite how much it offers.
    Even if No Man's Sky turns out well it may not be my game.

For the same reason I don't play Elite Dangerous either. Lots of freedom for players and you can decide your own type of career, but I just can not focus myself on it. (mind you, I am going through a depression right now, that also effects me)
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I understand what you mean. People moan about linear games where you are always taken down a single corridor through the game. But given complete freedom in an open world can quickly make a lot of players feel lost and unable to work out what to do, leading to roaming around aimlessly and eventually getting bored and leaving the game.

Most open ended games do have a lot of things to discover, specific locations and story lines to explore and once you have grasped how an open ended game's narrative works it can quickly become much more enjoyable.

In something like Elite I can just enjoy exploring new systems and discovering new planets and stars, plus docking with different stations. For me that never gets boring, but for some that would bore them senseless. You can of course take missions and jobs at stations or go mining. It's very much like the original Elite and Frontier and I never got bored of those. I often used to imagine more behind the scenes of the actual game being played.

If there is one thing I don't like about the new game as much as the old is I find navigation much more fiddly and complicated to achieve the same things I did before. But you soon get used to it.

Last edited by Harrison; 8th August 2016 at 09:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have pretty much nailed what I have difficulty with.
    I don't like really linear shooters for example and prefer multiple paths and approaches, but give to much options and I have no idea where I should start.

Kind of the same with open strategy games like Civilization and Sim City. Where should I start.

With a lot of these open ended games you basically have to make up your own narrative and goals, and that can be somewhat challenging when you have always been used to the games giving objectives and goals to you.

I am really going to have to see more of No Man's Sky before I will consider buying.
    As for Elite Dangerous, I will probably never purchase that one, I just can not get into such a game.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the first impressions. I've heard that as you progress you get the chance to build space structures like space stations. I don't know if this is true, but world be great and your early impression sounds like the game grows over time as you advance.

I will definitely be playing it on pc soon.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I've heard that as you progress you get the chance to build space structures like space stations. I don't know if this is true, but world be great and your early impression sounds like the game grows over time as you advance.
    They mentioned that it will be included, hopefully, although it wasn't planned from the beginning.

I played again yesterday for some more hours, left the first system, warp is now available, and went to another huge planet. So far I have to say that I enjoy exploring the planets quite a lot, this one has loads of flora and fauna, plus it also has water. I'm just cruising around with my ship searching for interesting spots, then investigate. I also started scanning animals and plants, you can then rename them and upload. You get paid for doing so. I just rename the animal with funny names, so I remember what they are. I have Crabspider, Crabjumper, Giant Snakeear, Jumping Snakehead, Unitiger, Dinohorse... So far I only met one aggressive species, which instantly attacked me.

I also found already MANY upgrades for my ship, suit and multitool. Didn't upgrade much though, as you need resources, which are not necessarily on the planet you're on. I have a bit more money now, as I started to mine gold and emeril which are worth some money.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 11th August 2016 at 05:18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been following some of the reactions on this game, at least the PS4 one.
    And though there is a positive reception there is also a lot of negative reception regarding the gameplay, choices in design, and some bugs.

As I feared a lot of the reviews, both positive and negative confirm what I have already been suspecting. This really isn't a game for me, at least not game I would happily spend 50 or 60 Euros on.
    Perhaps when it is sold on discount I might consider giving it a try.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not quite sure what every negative person's expectations were meant to be. The game was always going to be very similar in gameplay and idea to Elite and similar space exploration games.

I've been reading a few PC players have been having some stability bug issues. Not sure if this is hardware specific yet. I will probably not get the game until September as I dint have the time to play it yet, but really looking forward to trying it.