Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

ARM Holdings sold!

It's being reported today that ARM Holdings is being sold to a Japanese company for a huge sum of money.

If this goes through the UK will be losing one is the largest and most successful computer companies in the world.

For those that don't know, ARM Holdings was originally part of Acorn, the creators of the BBC Micro and the Archimedes home computer ranges. The ARM processor was developed for the Archimedes computer, but due to its efficient design continued to be developed for lower powered hardware and mobile devices. When Acorn started to get into trouble they split the company and ARM became a separate company designing and developing ARM CPUs. Never heard of them? They are in every Apple iPhone and iPad f.ex, and most likely controlling things like your washing machine.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know about the ARM reasonibly well. A nice piece of hardware with a long and respectable history. Shame for the UK that it disappears abroad, but hopefully it'll live on still.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Apparently the Japanese company wants to keep the headquarters in the UK at its current location in Cambridge, and have stayed they want to invest in the company to expand and double the UK workforce.

They were interested in the company to use the cpus in Internet of Things devices. I term I still hate.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!