Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

rm -rf news storey.

There was just a news story on Sky UK about a man who said he entered the "code" rm -rf into his Web browser and it instantly wiped his system and all his Web servers and client websites around the world, including all backups.

Sky were warning people not to enter this "rogue code" into their browser.

I just couldn't stop laughing at this completely stupid story that obviously had no research done.

Anyone with any Linux and SSH experience would instantly recognise this as a standard Linux command, but of course using the -rf prefix is dangerous because it will instantly wipe a whole system without warning and then crash the system because it deleted all the important files.

It won't however do anything typed into a Web browser. The man they reported about would need to be at a Linux command line or logged in as the root admin via SSH for this command to work. And even then it would just wipe that server, not other stuff across the Internet.

And if it wiped his backups then more the fool him for keeping them on the same system as the websites.

The man being reported was said to be running a small web hosting company. Who claims he has lost everything and his business is in effect dead, including all his clients losing their websites. Sounds like he didn't really know what he was doing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    lol

Do you have a link?

I decided to type it into my browser just to see what error came up, but it actually did a google search for 'rm' (the -rf removed any links with rf in them ).

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Saw the report. Stupid man shouldn't have been running other peoples websites if he didn't know what the command does.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD