RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Emails for other people

Does anyone here get emails which are intended for other people?

I've had my GMail address for over ten years now (), and whilst I don't actively use it, my mail client checks it at the same time as my usual private address, as I do still get things like notifications sent to GMail now and again.

But for quite a long time I've been getting emails every so often which appear to be for other people. They don't seem like spam. They just seem like things which have been mis-addressed.

A few years ago I was getting some kinds of family newsletters/updates, which seem to have stopped now. For a long time now I have been on the mailing list of the New Zealand All Star Cheerleaders, and have been kept informed of their events, prices etc , although I haven't heard from them for a while.

Just recently I have received quite a bit of correspondence relating to the sale of 'Bucklands Espresso Lounge'. Although I haven't paid that much attention to it, I have kind of followed it from the start of the sale to the end (and it looks like they have just finished selling it). A quick Google search reveals that Bucklands Espresso Lounge is a genuine business in New Zealand and is/was owned by someone called Stephen Coates. I don't know what the law is like in New Zealand, but if they were here, sending this stuff to me could be a serious breach of Data Protection legislation.

I'm sure there were several other examples which I have forgotten. Those New Zealand people do seem to like sending me mis-addressed emails .

Edit: Just done a search through the GMail history. Another one was statements and invoices from Farm Cove Butchery in New Zealand. Turns out these were intended for the Bucklands Espresso Lounge. There were also some others related to Bucklands Espresso Lounge. I wonder if this Stephen Coates bloke has a GMail address but spells it wrong or something .

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe he was a Steven or a Coats. Probably your email addresses are very similar or were.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dint think I've ever had a series of emails like that. I have had the odd genuine one meant for someone else, but very rare.

Probably was someone else with the same name living in NZ. Have you done a Facebook search for your name? It might show someone from there.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like this Stephen Coates from New Zealand definitely does exist. His GMail address is probably similar to mine.

The ones I got around 2009 from Aunty Pauline seem to be for yet another Stephen Coates (who I think might reside in America, but I'm not sure).

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just thought I'd resurrect this thread. This time its mobile phones rather than emails.

Earlier this year/last year, I turned my mobile phone on (a rarity!) to find an answering machine message from an anonymous person at an anonymous doctors surgery asking an anonymous recipient to call them back on a withheld number. . How they expect someone to action that, I don't know, unless the intended recipient was expecting the call.

Anyway, later on this year, I've had a couple of SMS messages from NHS-NoReply, stating that Mr Anonymous has an appointment at Jaywick Surgery at such and such a time.

This leads me to wonder if the unnamed doctors surgery above, was the Jaywick Surgery in the SMS. Jaywick Surgery is, btw, about 200 miles away .

So, I wonder how Mr Anonymous got on at his doctors appointments. Let hope he recovers from whatever ails him .

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not had any ransom calls on my current mobile number, but s did get a couple over the years on my old number I had for years.

The strangest one however was my home phoneline. After our house had flooded and been repaired and we moved back into our own house from temp rented I moved the phone back to our own house and they had to assign a new number because it was a change of exchange.

I then started to get phone calls from people asking questions about their council house rents. And I even had people shouting at me down the phone, until I could stop them and tell them they had a wrong number.

I even had to convince some callers I was a private number and not the local authority housing company Martlet.

I thrn got a call from Martlet themselves asking if I had had their calls. Apparently they had changed offoce numbers but my new phone number I was given by BT was their old number and it was still shown as the contract number on their website! She apologised and said she would sort it out. And the calls did stop.

Very annoying though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL

(although it was probably a lot more annoying than it sounds )

After we moved into this house in 2005, we got quite a few calls for the previous owner, as well as letters. Still got the occasional one for years later. In fact, I'd say we're a bit overdue for one .

At our old house, we used to get a lot of phone calls for a solicitor who had the same number as us but in a different area code.