I've been testing the betas of Windows 10 in VM for some time now and really liking the new OS.

So now it's finally here I decided to go ahead and upgrade.

Instead of waiting for Windows update to download and notify me I used the Media Creation Tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

This lets you directly download a Windows 10 ISO, then create either a DVD or USB stick installation media.

The DVD failed to work properly for me, but the USB worked fine. I upgraded one of my Windows 7 PCs to Windows 10 and it worked perfectly, ending with all desktop icons and settings as they were before the update.

I can now confirm that if you have a copy of Windows 7 that you activated using the Microsoft Toolkit KMS activator to make it genuine, it will remain activated and genuine once upgraded to Windows 10. Automatically setting it up as an Admin local account and not asking for a Microsoft account or registration keys. Only downside is you will need to add a Microsoft account to use the Store.

I can also confirm that Cody, the creator of the Microsoft Toolkit, is working on the new 2.6 version to directly support Windows 10 KMS activation and Office 2016 activation.

Others have also confirmed Windows 8.1 KMS activations also remain activated and genuine once upgraded to Windows 10.

It definitely feels like the true successor to Windows 7. We can now finally forget Windows 8 ever existing and move forward happy.