Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Who's upgrading to Windows 10?

I've been testing the betas of Windows 10 in VM for some time now and really liking the new OS.

So now it's finally here I decided to go ahead and upgrade.

Instead of waiting for Windows update to download and notify me I used the Media Creation Tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

This lets you directly download a Windows 10 ISO, then create either a DVD or USB stick installation media.

The DVD failed to work properly for me, but the USB worked fine. I upgraded one of my Windows 7 PCs to Windows 10 and it worked perfectly, ending with all desktop icons and settings as they were before the update.

I can now confirm that if you have a copy of Windows 7 that you activated using the Microsoft Toolkit KMS activator to make it genuine, it will remain activated and genuine once upgraded to Windows 10. Automatically setting it up as an Admin local account and not asking for a Microsoft account or registration keys. Only downside is you will need to add a Microsoft account to use the Store.

I can also confirm that Cody, the creator of the Microsoft Toolkit, is working on the new 2.6 version to directly support Windows 10 KMS activation and Office 2016 activation.

Others have also confirmed Windows 8.1 KMS activations also remain activated and genuine once upgraded to Windows 10.

It definitely feels like the true successor to Windows 7. We can now finally forget Windows 8 ever existing and move forward happy.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice find Dave.

Downloading Win10 Pro X64 to USB right now.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a slow download. Took over 3 hours to download the 3+GB ISO from Microsoft, and then it needs to create and write the media to the USB stick. I expect the huge demand right after launch doesn't help.

Actual update to 10 took under an hour for me from beginning to desktop, but the system I upgraded was fairly clean as it's my download and test server, so I keep it minimal and only install what I need to use on it. A system with a lot of programs installed will take longer because Windows 10 checks every installed program and application before starting the upgrade and alerts you of all incompatible applications and gives the option to uninstall or upgrade them each. It is the nicest Windows installer I've used to date.

Although it is slower to upgrade than 7 to 8 was, it does more work checking everything currently on the system before it does the update, so it is more foolproof.

But as with everything backup important files before the upgrade as things can go wrong, although in all cases I've read online where the upgrade has failed the installer offers to fully revert to the old OS and this has been successful for all. Some seem to have a problem with the install getting stuck at certain points and not progressing. If you find the installer is stuck at a percentage for over an hour and hasn't moved at all then it probably won't and needs to be cancelled and tried again. Trying from DVD-R the installer stuck at 0% for me, so changing to using a USB stick it didn't stick at all and instantly started to go from 0% upwards without waiting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Windows 10 my throughts

Hi there I updated to windows 10 when it came but I had a problem as the icon at the bottom still said do you wish to upgrade so had to phone Microsoft to get them to remote my computer but yes it only took about 1 hour to do the upgrade and yes it good its fast but I must say that the new internet brower edge sometimes gets pretty slow but I think its down to being a new thing there be new updates for it at some time but can I say to but it on a usb flash drive or dvd rom you first need to do the upgrade first and after that it will work so you can do a fresh install well this is my first post I have amiga 1200 wit ha compact flash

Downloads
    Uploads
    I downloaded to USB in less tan 30 minutes.

Will be having a play later. Backing up atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Installed. Pretty slick but almost like Workbench 2.0 default palette.

Activation:

Fresh install from DL to USB drive. Installed but skipped entering a key. Went to log on to my Email account...Password incorrect. (SKY btw)

Funny thing is...I had this issue with Sky last week. Support were as much help as a chocolate fire-guard so I reset my password manually but with an unexpected error @ the end of it; - twice even!
    .....but it worked & Outlook 2010 Downloaded & sent from the relevant account.

However, since installing Win10, I can not log into this Email account via Chrome again. Same error as before......

Meh, so whilst I can't access this Email acoount, (it's the one registered for the free Upgrade to Win10) I'm sat here with an un-activated edition of Win10 & no way of getting an install key as long as the Email account is fubarred!

Downloads
    Uploads
    hi there you needed to upgrade it in windows 10 first then after that you could have stuck it in a usb stick or cd rom its so they can change your windows 8.0 or 8.1 to a windows key that why you need to install it as a upgrade

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by giddyeye View Post
    hi there you needed to upgrade it in windows 10 first then after that you could have stuck it in a usb stick or cd rom its so they can change your windows 8.0 or 8.1 to a windows key that why you need to install it as a upgrade
    I did a fresh install. I did read somewhere yesterday whilst trawling the web, your 7 or 8.1 key should get a hash-tag attached when you register for the upgrade. Bearing in mind you have to register a valid Email Address, one would have thought there would be Email notification for the upgrade. - Assumption is of course the Mother of all F'k up's & it would appear I am yet again, ....."Micro-Shafted".....

*edit*

Pah! - The Hash-tag only occurs for doing an upgrade over 7 or 8.1

Brb.
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 3rd August 2015 at 11:52.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    How do you see it regarding games? do they run better? The same?
    I have 1 laptop with win 7 and 1 with win 8.
    My win 8 is very stable, since i bought it i never had a crash as i remember (no games included)... games work good, 1 in 20 could not work, but the rest is fine. I am afraid to upgrade yet.
    How is your experience in games with Win 10 ?
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    How do you see it regarding games? do they run better? The same?
    I have 1 laptop with win 7 and 1 with win 8.
    My win 8 is very stable, since i bought it i never had a crash as i remember (no games included)... games work good, 1 in 20 could not work, but the rest is fine. I am afraid to upgrade yet.
    How is your experience in games with Win 10 ?
    That could really depend on how much Horse Power you have in your GPU/GPU's.....

I'm doing a fresh install of 8.1 since the c0ck-up a few posts ago. I'll make a point of doing some benchies before I upgrade to 10, promise.
    On second lot of Important updates atm..... Another 173 Updates totalling 1.7GB on top of the first update of 1.6GB......

And just for Win 8.1 & Office 2010 with only Excel, Word & Outlook installed. - Meh!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only important thing to remember is that the version of Windows you are upgrading must show as genuine. It doesn't matter how you do this, official, daz loader, Microsoft toolkit etc... The important bit is after that you must visit the Microsoft validator to make it genuine.

Once upgraded Microsoft will make it a genuine authorised copy of 10. They also assign a unique hardware id to your computer so in theory you can then do a clean install and it won't ask you to register, authorise etc, ever. However I want to do a clean install onto a new ssd so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Although it has been confirmed that using the existing Microsoft toolkit 2.5.3 it activates windows 10. Although this will be as a volume corporate license. The new version 2.6 with direct win 10 support is due any day.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk