Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting item from Micro Mart magazine

In the latest copy of Micro Mart magazine (July 2015 edition) I spotted this comment included in an article entitled "Where Now For Windows 7? (& why Windows XP is still hanging on)"

"There were software compatibility issues, and many could not figure why they should upgrade where the existing system worked fine. As if to underline that kind of thinking - and to show that it's not entirely Luddite but does have sensible origins - a 30-year- old Commodore Amiga was found to be controlling the air conditioning and heating of 19 schools in the Grand Rapids School district of Michigan. The programmer worked on the system as a teenager but lives nearby and is on hand to fix any problems. To upgrade to a newer OS and computer could cost as much as $2 million, so the decision has been made to keep things ticking over until it becomes absolutely vital to make the meve, Many companies and individuals will think the same when it comes to Windows 7 (and indeed Windows XP)."
    & PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE COST OF AMIGA SPARES!!!!!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This story of the Amiga running school heating has been mentioned a lot in recent months. It is brilliant to see people being sensible for a change and using technology that still does the job.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    While Microsoft is busy plotting to get us all hooked on Windows 10 which it seems will have an automatic update system that will be almost impossible to switch off, PLUS will be thoroughily bug tested via domestic users prior to the business versions being released, you can rest assured that they are already working on version 11 and getting the props in place to have us ditch version 10 sometime into the future. If it aint broke why do we keep on fixing it and making Mr Gates obscenely rich in the process!

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/14/a...district-hvac/

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    One article I read recently said that Windows 10 will be the last numbered version and that from now on it will be continuously upgraded with new features instead of having major updates every other year. I would like to be able to turn off automatic updates though, even if I usually install all of them I like to be able to review and specify.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It as definitely been stated to be the last version numbered version with automatic updating to evolve the OS over time. But we will see.

As for automatic updating, in the final beta versions at least you can switch it off.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!