Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My broadband!!! WOOO!

Finally, its here. Thats right I am typing this on a broadband connection.

But! I hav problems. I am trying to set it up so I can run it wirelessly, as having to sit at this sh1tbox would drive me nuts. So I will explain:

I am running WindowsXP on an 850. Using a router, Draytek Vigor 2800VG to access the internet.

What I want to be able to do is connect wirelessly to the router, so I dont have to have the other computer on, so I can access the internet. Which would be the easiest option: Wireless network or by using a VPN? both are causing headaches because the documentation is a load of cr@p.

And help/questions, send em my way.
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You would only use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to log into a remote network over the internet. The main use for this is for home workers who would use VPN to work from home and connect to their works network over the internet. So you don't want to use VPN.

The easiest is definitely wireless networking if you just want to connect to the internet from anywhere in your house. As long as your router has wireless access and the PC you wish to connect to it also has a wireless network card then it's not that hard to setup.

The main things you need to check with wireless is that both the router and the PC wireless network card are both using the same wireless network channel number. The default on most routers is channel 11. Next make sure that the router is setup to assign IP addresses on the network automatically using NAT. And also set the PC so that it obtains its network information (IP) from the router automatically. If these things are all set correctly and the drivers for the wireless network card are installed properly on the PC then it should find the router and connect without any problem.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, so they both work on channel 11, as now my laptop "sees" the connection, but cannot connect to it. Trying to see where it shows how to assign IP addresses.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Submeg View Post
    Ok, so they both work on channel 11, as now my laptop "sees" the connection, but cannot connect to it. Trying to see where it shows how to assign IP addresses.
    You shouldn't need to assign the IP addresses. Just make sure DHCP is enabled on the router and it should assign you one automatically.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And on the PC check your network settings. Go into the Local Area Connection Properties, and then look at the Properties for the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) entry. Under the general tab select "Obtain an IP address automatically".

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got that selected, but still saying limited connectivity

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you set your network connection to select an IP address & DNS server automatically:

Have you tried pressing the repair button? (Always worth a try!)

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea have done all that, it says that it can't accquire an IP address (when I do repair) and I have the router set to dynamic IP

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    And on the PC check your network settings. Go into the Local Area Connection Properties, and then look at the Properties for the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) entry. Under the general tab select "Obtain an IP address automatically".
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    Have you set your network connection to select an IP address & DNS server automatically
    I swear that wasn't there when I posted my reply!

Anyway, try removing all saved information about the wireless network (Wireless Networks tab on the Wireless Network Connection Properties window, and remove all saved networks from the list.)

Have you got any kind of encryption enabled? Might be worth disabling it if you have while you get it working...

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lol, too funny