Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lucy

Has anyone else seen the film Lucy?

I missed it last year at the cinema, but finally watched it last night on Sky.

To sum it up, it's basically a remake of Lawn Mower Man with a different way of achieving the same outcome.. using drugs rather than virtual reality.

It's an OK film and the car and gun fights have the signature Luc Besson style to them, which I always enjoy, but it was quite flat and uninspiring all the same. He and she have both made much better movies.

Score: 6/10.

Favourite Luc Besson film? Now that is a hard question.. Taxi, The Transporter, The 5th element, Leon.. all very different, but all equally brilliant.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hell Yes. What an absolutely fantastic film it was too.

It meant much more to me than the lawnmower man ever did as a film or even book. Lawnmower man was a pushed around simpleton that ended up VR-ing himself by being finally digitised into the mainframe.

Lucy on the other hand was poisoned by a drug that eventually killed her. The drug made her use her entire brains capabilities, to the point she went back to where we ALL come from. Perhaps you didn't grasp the concept of the film in it's entirety.

"Peter Parker had his radioactive spider and the Fantastic Four their gamma rays. For Lucy (Scarlett Johansson), the imperilled heroine of Luc Besson's sleek, punchy action caper, superpower comes courtesy of a packet of prototype narcotics that ruptures in her intestine, allowing her to access an extra 90% of her cerebral capacity. Before long, Lucy is an unblinking angel of vengeance, alive to each revolution of the planet and driving hell for leather down the boulevards of Paris. She's like a blend of Marilyn Monroe and the Terminator, as scripted by Ayn Rand.

All of which proves rollickingly entertaining – up to a point. Besson delivers the thrills with aplomb, while Johansson looks to be relishing a role that stands as a kind of populist cousin to her recent, electrifying performance in Jonathan Glazer's Under the Skin. The problem is that the greater Lucy grows, and the more brain power she colonises, the more the plot risks bursting its bounds and blowing out its levels. What breed of monster has Besson created here? Snickering drug dealers are no match for Lucy. The movie itself can barely contain her. Lucy is hopping across millennia; she has her sights set on the cosmos. At the rate she's going, she should reach the outer edge of the galaxy in about 90 minutes flat."
    Pasted from here:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...morgan-freeman
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't worry, I grasped it, but it was done in such a mundane way it was fairly boring by the time she gained all knowledge and left her physical form. The film really didn't have a story beyond the drug lords and the drugs leaking and increasing her brain power. They tried with the scientists but it didn't really go anywhere. It was a real missed opportunity, but would have been much worse had she not been in the lead role.

It's similarities to Lawn Mower Man were in regard to a catalyst increasing their brain power to a point where they left their physical form and ascended into a higher plain of existence. Digital form for LMM and Accension into pure energy (photons?) in Lucy. Basically Ascension from Star Gate. Knowledge reached a point where you no longer needed a physical form. It was too limiting to remain.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ H

I'm not worrying mate but please understand I didn't want to come over in the wrong way fella & sorry if I did.

For me:

VR is man made.

Lucy's experience enhanced her ability to utilize her brain @ 100% capacity without the need of a man made VR.

Perhaps a similar concept I guess, but different in so many ways. Also, because we are all different, I guess we grasp things in different manners, but RE the film itself;

I loved it despite being "rollickingly entertaining – up to a point." by the reviwer @ the Gaurdian.

Folk that read the Sun or the Sunday Sport would probably disagree.

10/10 for me! In my book, Morgan Freeman doesn't do 6/10 films!

10/10 for Leon, 5th Element & Transporter too.

/....and of course, don't forget the "Hollywood" thing....

Dreams! ..... It's what life is based on.
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 13th July 2015 at 16:59.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wanted to skip this one, as I already didn't like the trailer, not my kind of movies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I wanted to skip this one, as I already didn't like the trailer, not my kind of movies.
    Broaden your Horizons & dream in a different direction for a change.

But I do understand where you're coming from. - The film Flat Liners really pi$$ed me off back in the day.

I'd hired it on Video from our local rent store & after seeing half an hour of that BS, I turned the film off!

It put me off watching all Horror movies thereafter. - Life is just too precious.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't watch horror films?

The best genre, except for sci-fi horror.. now that is the best. Anyone watching the new series Dark Matter? The last episode combined derelict spaceship salvage containing zombie like virus infected people, and it was quite well done for a series too.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    You don't watch horror films?
    Who said that?? My favorite genre is horror. I also have f.ex. a HUGE collection of Asian horror movies.

I just said that LUCY didn't look like my cup of tea, doesn't mean that I don't like horror movies, because LUCY is definitely NO horror.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Kin did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    The film Flat Liners really pi$$ed me off back in the day.

I'd hired it on Video from our local rent store & after seeing half an hour of that BS, I turned the film off!

It put me off watching all Horror movies thereafter. - Life is just too precious.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's quite hard to find a good horror movie nowadays, lots of them are indeed a waste of time, only sometimes that I stumble upon a "gem", or a bit better one, which was a least worth a watch.

I always read the news at Bloody Disgusting, everything is covered there, plus reviews and comments.