Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

3D scanned viking artefacts

The Norwegian Museum of Cultural History has 3D scanned a number of ancient viking artefacts from the oseberg site, and using a plugin found in most recent browsers you can view them in high resolution and zoom and rotate them at your leisure. The next best thing to actually studying the real thing. Though their site has an english section I couldn't find this there yet, so the following link goes to norwegian pages. There's not that many objects to view yet but there's surely more to follow. Amazing technology which hopefully will become much more widespread among museums across the world.

http://www.khm.uio.no/forskning/data...funnet-3d.html

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some of the London museums are using this technology. The British museum even has access to them on site. As you walk around you see QR codes next to artifacts and can point your phone at them to retrieve the 3D image to examine.

It definitely is a great use of the technology to fully log fragile objects, so we can look at them from every angle. Also a great archive in case objects are ever destroyed.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Teho

http://www.khm.uio.no/english/

I use to love all things about the Vikings when I was a young lad at school. The Long Boats design was a very graceful one, almost way ahead of it's time. Very buoyant (even after a spot of rape & pillage) & very fast for a boat powered by so few oars. Must have been an awesome sight in full sail back then. I believe us brits were bobbing around in round tubs covered with Tar at the time.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was amazing to think that the Vikings managed to get to the main land USA in their long boats. They were no good for crossing oceans so they had to circumnavigate along the coast line around Greenland and Canada to get there. That was some dedication and resilience to do that.

What was the film released a few years ago set in that time period in the USA? Where a Viking landing party attacked a Red Indian villiage and kidnapped a man. The whole film was spoken in the correct languages, so no English and all subtitled. The Indian man listened to them talking each night around the fire and eventually learnt their language and helped them in a fight at the end. Saw that at the cinema.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Was that The Pathfinder? I have not seen that movie, but I know it's based off an 80s norwegian movie called Veiviseren (ie The Pathfinder). They changed a lot of it I think. The original is set in Northern Norway and the main character is a same. The barbarians are a siberian tribe I think. I saw it again a little while ago, it was well reviewed in its day but definitely hasn't aged well. Should see the remake one day.

That's cool that they're using this tech at the British Museum. I guessed there'd be others doing this of course, hopefully everyone around the world will do this with all artefacts and make them available for all to see.

The vikings were great explorers. While most today view them as barbarians, that is actually a small part of the truth. There was the looting and the pillaging of course, but there was also exploring and trading. Generally, norwegian vikings sailed west and discovered Iceland, Greenland and North America. The danes were the ones who pillaged their way down the western european coastline while the swedes headed east and south, reaching as far as the middle east where vikings were known to serve as mercenary bands. There were even a special imperial guard in the byzantine empire that consisted of vikings!

Vikings were actually a very advanced culture being the best shipbuilders and advanced smiths in their day. Dismissing them as mere barbarians isn't correct at all. Not saying you guys do this, but that is the general conception among people today.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pathfinder 1987 - Full film with English Subtitles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrJN3dwytpo - I don't have any subtitles visible though?

English Re-make of Pathfinder 2007 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfYzE4KPQDI - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446013/

The Re-make being more of an Action film based on the original.

@ Teho

Yes, you are quite right. I'm sure the bigger part of modern day society still thinks of Vikings as murdering raping & pillaging barbarians. They were indeed explorers as well & big ones at that. I believe the Danes owned part of England @ one time. Everything North in a straight line from London to Chester & known as Danelaw.
    Their ship building skills were second to none as was their bronze work. Almost a pioneering race in their own right. Their own society involved women back in 850 AD yet England didn't until 1928.

This is worth a read & don't be put off by the Title of the page.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/...were-that-bad/

& I found this whilst looking for English ships in 850 AD. Refers to the Danelaw part of England further down the page.

http://www.thehistoryofenglish.com/history_old.html

No mention of English ships in 850 AD though!

/.....Kin fires up uTorrent for Pathfinder original & remake version....

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Look, I tried to point it out but I'll say it again, the original Pathfinder really, really hasn't aged well. :P It has nothing to do with vikings either, it features the sami culture which is the indiginous nomadic tribes of northern scandinavia. Reindeer herders and fishermen, mostly. And of course they're not nomadic anymore, but traditionally they were. But if you insist on watching it I won't stop you.

Yeah, the danes had a strong foothold on the british isles at one point and many cities were founded by them. There's a lot of places over there with names that are obviously nordic in origin. Any one ending in -by (means "town") for example.

Edit: Read that spectator article now and yeah, while the view of vikings as purely barbaric is wrong they still were a violent bunch. They were huge people in those days, the average height of europeans being around 150-160cm back then wile the northerners were 10-15cm taller on average. Also they did not fear death at all, with their norse beliefs that the only way to be taken to Valhalla was to go down fighting. They never turned and ran! The berserker is from the vikings, literally meaning bear-clothed, these would wear bearskins and work themselves into an insane rage so that the adrenaline would give them huge strength and be almost immune to pain. Some archaeologists suggest they used some kind of drug to do it. Picture that coming at you. So no, they weren't entirely friendly either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's all cool with Pathfinder Teho. Don't fret.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks like the film. The story also looks opposite to I remenber, with viking left behind in Indian tribe, then fights vikings to protect the tribe. Will have to watch again.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk