Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Le Mans 24 hour 2015

Has anyone else been watching the Le Mans 24 hour?

I watched the start and had it on in the background on Eurosport all last night, and then picked up again this morning.

Currently it's looking like Audi might not actually win it this year with their Audi R18 e-tron quattro as Porsche are currently in 1st and 2nd with their Porsche 919 Hybrid but it could still change with just over 2.5 hours to go.

The onboard cameras on the manufacture Hybrids still scare me to watch.. with them reaching speeds over 250MPH, faster than F1 cars.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I'm honest, I didn't know it was now already....

That's "Mental" Dave.....
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Watching the Porsche 919 Hybrid and the Audi R18 e-tron quattro it's hard to imagine just how they have reaction times fast enough.

It was great to see Porsche winning this year, and not Audi, and seeing Mark Webber as part of the winning team too. Although you could argue the same company won the race because both Porsche and Audi are owned by the VW Group.

Always makes me want to fire up a game and race around Le Mans after watching it each year. The new game Project Cars features the Circuit de la Sarthe track under the project name Loire. I've got the game but I've not yet had chance to try it out. Should be good. Gran Turismo 6 is also good for Le Mans as it features older 2005 and 2009 versions of the track, but also the newer 2013 revision. Think I know what I will be playing later tonight, all be it not the full 24 hour race!

Anyone remember the PS2 game Le Mans 24 Hours? It was actually a port of the Dreamcast game, but for some reason I only owned it on the PS2. Must download the DC version at some point and compare. This was the only game I actually raced the full 24 hour race in realtime and Won! Obviously with some pausing for "pit stops".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't really do much racing these days. When I do, it's usually this.... iRacing

Do do a pile of that now since he moved to Southampton.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The first Grid game from Codemasters also featured great Le Mans races. You could choose how fast time passed in it so it was possible to race for a full 24 hours, or you could condense it down to 12 minutes while still getting the effect of nightfall and dawning. The rest of the game is pretty good too and is probably dirt cheap these days, though the online servers were shut down ages ago.

PS: Stay away from Grid 2, it's rubbish. The recent Grid Autosport is supposedly a whole lot better again but I haven't played it yet.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, the first Grid was great. Grid 2 was definitely not as good and much more arcade orientated, and to me felt like Need for Speed. but it was still great fun it you just wanted to have a blast around some roads.

Grid Autosport is definitely a return to the proper series and well worth you buying, especially as it keeps popping up in Steam sales recently.

But if you want some of the best simulation style racing then Assetto Corsa and Project Cars are the 2 current games well worth buying, but a proper racing wheel is definitely worth it for those.

@Kin. I've always been interested in iRacing, but how expensive it is with it's monthly subscription model has stopped me buying into it, especially now the 2 games I just mentioned are available.

Another great series is the SimBin Race 07 based series. There have been some great packages released for that over the years, with you now able to purchase the complete bundle for very little, and as it's fairly old now it runs on pretty much any hardware but still looks pretty good and contains a lot of tracks and different car series.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I felt the same about Grid matey. Grid 2 just wasn't the same for me either.

iRacing is not for the faint hearted. Yes there is subscription & when you have guys dong this with £500 Thrustmaster Steering wheels (there are more expensive btw) it's a passion you either have or don't.

In some ways, it's a Modern Day "Grand Prix Legends", where you either have the balls to drift in late 50's/early 60's cars .... or you don't. If you never grasped this game, then iRacing probably isn't for you.