Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

My Garage A1200 find

I was recently clearing out my garage and found a box with my old A1200. There was also two hard drives. One a 3.5 x 4gig IDE which used to reside in my a1200 tower which I dont have any more DONT ASK!. Also a 2.5" x 4 gig ide which as far as I remember was blank. However there were no leads PSU or any disks. I found and ordered an A500 PSU online plus found a gadget which proported to allow old computers to use a PS2 mouse. I am awaiting a 23pin to Scart lead plus a 44 pin to 40 pin IDE lead so I can try to boot the 3.5 drive.

The only bits that have arrived so far were the PSU & the said 9 pin to PS2 convertor. IT DID NOT WORK I instead have ordered a genuine Amiga mouse.

Also when I plugged in the A500 PSU nothing happened no power light nothing.

I could hear it humming when I held it up to my ear so it seemed to be OK. I opened it as I saw there is a fuse in them but it was fine.

In desperation I then stripped my A1200 completely removing the shield in case there was a fuse or somthing in under there. Nothing so I reassembled it all and plugged it in again. Lo & behold this time all worked perfectly.

There was quite a bit of HD activity before it settled down but as the 23 pin to Scart cable hasnt arrived yet I have no idea what that means. I really thought this was a blank 2.5" HD. The disk drive clicks which I assume is another hopeful sign.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi and welcome to CA. The A1200 also has a colour composite video output on the back so whilst waiting for the SCART cable you could plug the Amiga into most TVs using the composite output. You just need a standard yellow phono cable. Most people have some as they come bundled with most TVs, DVD players, games consoles etc.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!