Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NAS problems

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In order to work the drives need to be as big or bigger, correct? If you are unsure regarding 4TB Reds the what about getting a 6TB one?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ DC

Ahhhh! - I wasn't aware of this NAS box problem & tbh, I'd rate Synology over Qnap if only for the chassis design.

I'd still be trying a WD Red.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    In order to work the drives need to be as big or bigger, correct? If you are unsure regarding 4TB Reds the what about getting a 6TB one?
    Why would I pay more for a 6TB which will not be used by the NAS anyway? If in the coming years I would then change disks, I would always get 6TB ones, and I would end up in years having 12x6TB disks?

@Kin Hell
    You still don't get what I mean

I heard that NAS (in common, any brand in the world) would have problems recognizing disks which are smaller than all the others in use. That's why I mentioned the 3726.02GB. If I buy a disk which f.ex. has physically 3699.50GB, it would be a problem for any NAS, as that disk is smaller, not 2TB smaller, but just a bit smaller than ALL the others. But then I read that it's not necessarily the size that matters, but the sectors. If that differs too much, a NAS might have problems with it, thus the best would be to get the exact same disk model, just to be on the safe side.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As WD probably manufactured your Hitachi drives they are most likely to be the most similar in terms of sector size and overall formatted storage allocation. If you can't find the information on sectors for your existing drives to compare there should be data sheets somewhere online for them. An alternative could be for you to try to directly contact WD or Toshiba (the new owners of Hitachi brand) and see if they can provide the information. Companies will normally be very helpful if you make up a good story such as a need to replace drives in a lot of NAS units (so they start to get interested in a potential bulk order).

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ DC

Just try a WD Red.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    New disk is in, rebuilt is running.

Got the same disk like the ones I have for 120€, so I just took that one, and I also send my damaged one to HGST today, warranty is valid until the 29.06.2015, so I might me pretty lucky. If I get it replaced, then I will have one "on stock".

Btw, I checked the sectors for the Hitachi, it says on the label on the disk itself, and it has the exact same amount than the WD Red, not one single sector more or less, so basically these seem to be very similar or even same disks?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They won't be the same disk because of how the Red drives are manufactures for extended always on up time specifically for NAS use, but in general I would have guessed sectors would be the same on the same size drives, and even more so considering Hitachi drives were manufactured by WD until they sold them on to Toshiba.

BTW, was it an old stock drive you managed to get then, as I thought they were no longer made?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    A bit more than 1 year old, has 15000 hours power-on time, just like all of mine.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really. I would only want brand new drives in a nas.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, a brand new one could be damaged too, already saw that many times, when f.ex. it's not well packed when they ship it. At least this one was running fine, so I know it's not broken. It has 15000 hours "only", with a lifespan of 1000000 hours, that's 1.5% of its life.