Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Windows 10 free upgrade

Apparently, users of Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 10. I also understand that Windows Phones qualify for a free upgrade too.

Release date is scheduled for July 29th.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ows-10-upgrade

Anyone else going for it?
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I recall correctly you have one year to get it for free. I have never jumped on any Windows at release and I won't now either. Not one have been without numerous issues out of the gate.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Apparently even those running pirate copies of Windows 7 will be invited to take part in the free upgrade. It's Microsoft's way to attempt to get all users onto the same code base and secured with the same updates.

Now the bad news. Microsoft haven't mentioned that the new version will be missing some things present in all recent versions of Windows. Windows Media Centre is gone, as is WMP. No huge lose but I'm sure some older software and games required it to be present for FMV playback. We will see. Also missing is any DVD playback support, assuming because WMP has been removed, so users will need to install their own software, and Microsoft recommend using VLC themselves, which is quite cool of them, although I'm wondering if this shows they have admitted defeat to the better developer.

There is also some other stuff missing but I forget what at the moment.

Also a change which will annoy many, myself included, is forced Windows updates. The OS won't give users the option to install updates, instead they will roll out and self install the moment they get released. Gone will be the ability to vet when some updates create stability issues, especially for high end gaming rigs. Could be a big issue for some.

However, saying all that, I will probably upgrade one of my systems to Windows 10 shortly after launch. I own a Win 8 license anyway so can easily get the upgrade.

Something else currently uncertain is the upgrade path. At the moment it is stated to only be for current users and the upgrade will be a direct upgrade of their current OS. As you all know only too well a clean OS install is the only real way to install a new OS, not an upgrade, because they can leave a big mess and a very messed up registry. I want to be able to create an install DVD or USB media and install from a blank HDD.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think I'll be bothering .

Downloads
    Uploads
    I own 8.1 after running a hookie version of Win 7 for 18 months. Back in those days, I did try Win 8 & hated it in every manner.

MS have stripped their OS's ever since & after Win XP. Media Centre was always BS for me & is no loss for my money but not including a Mail Client within the OS is completely out of order.

I just hope Win 10 allows you to run stuff like classic start menu & doesn't force that shocking & fixed Windows 8.0 look.

I will be backing up before the 29th July, that's for sure.

& yes Dave, a clean install really is the only way to do it. Problem is, will that be at all possible with the way MS are farming this free upgrade out?
    I expect someone will find a way to hack it.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to confirm. . All of my "copies" of Windows 7 had the upgrade to Windows 10 icon appear in the notification bar. I've registered the upgrade just so I have the option within the next year without having to pay, but still want a clean install route.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Uninstall Windows 7 update KB3035583 and the Windows 10 icon will not pop up anymore.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is annoying that the icon remains, even after completing the registration and selecting close.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    In Microsoft's description of the KB3035583 update it says:

This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
    KB3035583 is the executable “GWX.exe” which autostarts through the Task Scheduler. GWX.exe is the system tray icon. When you click the system tray icon, it spawns the application “GWXUX.exe”, which is the upgrade dialog.

So there's no problem with uninstalling it again.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to know, but why didn't they just have it quit once complete? Should have worked like the 30 day to authenticate your license message Windows throws up when first installed.