Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    OEM Win 10 Pro can be found for £115 @ ebuyer
    Well I was sitting there on friday and wanted to activate right then and not wait days for an OEM disc to arrive. I did consider it, I found a retailer that had one that I could go and get. It was around £150 though, and the round-trip would take an hour and a half, passing several tolls on top of that. So with the expenses it would pretty much end up being in the £200 range anyway. :/
    ......& all for not waiting & wanting to be an instant Wizard!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being a wizard is *important*.

Well actually this PC build has been troublesome and time consuming, starting with a suicidal PSU that took the mobo with it when it killed itself. And I'm working away these days so am only home in the weekends. So taking the thing apart, water cooling and all, mailing the broken bits off and getting replacements... rebuilding... it's taken weeks. So I am sitting there on a friday finally with a semi-working rig and am looking at waiting yet another week for an OEM disc.

Nope.

Then spent most of the saturday on the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT thing, tearing my hairs off my head.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fully understand & empathise, but........

Oooooh! - I wasn't aware you had a water cooled rig. Do u mind me asking the spec?

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is actually the first time I've built a water cooled pc. It was easier and more straightforward than I feared, but then I spent some time learning about it before I started.

So it's an i7 Skylake 6700K on an Asus Z170 Deluxe motherboard. 16GB of DDR4 3000MHz RAM and a strix 970 GPU. Also I got one of the new M.2 SSDs which is just crazy fast. 1400/600 MBps read/write speed. Yeah, 1.4 gigabytes per second. With a clean install and nothing in the startup folder the bootup speed is... *what* bootup speed?

I haven't looked much at overclocking yet, just incremented the CPU from 4 to 4.2GHz as a quick test. Didn't even dent the temperature in a stress test which was as expected. I should get 4.5 easy with my cooling, and can probably get close to 5 with some tweaking but I don't intend to push any limits. I go for high specs so the system lasts a while, I used my old one for over seven years and only upgraded the RAM and GPU a couple of times.

As for the 970 GPU, I still don't have a dedicated computer corner in my apartment so I still use my pc only on a TV. Once I've torn down some walls here and rebuilt this place I'll have a proper pc monitor, but for now all I require is 1080p@60Hz. I intend to get a VR headset eventually, and at that point I'll get another 970 and run the two in SLI. I dimensioned the water cooling for three heatsources with that in mind, right now it's only cooling the CPU and the one GPU.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 970 GPU is brilliant for the price. It's what I upgraded to last year and it's a great upgrade. I posted the upgrade test results somewhere at the time. It tripled the performance in most games and some games like Dirt 3 actually hit an upper FPS limit which is mad.

Regarding Windows 10 Pro. As you concluded avoid home as it's missing some very useful stuff such as very good built in virtualisation. Home also has all the new m$ data collection and spyware active from install, whereas pro has it disabled.

Regarding memory crash issues. Especially during boot time. This is normally old drivers and launch bar programs running. It can also be older win 7 GPU drivers. Mine has been pretty stable on all 4 systems I'm running 10 pro on.

Oh and I didn't have to buy an official 10 pro licence for any of them. I had an 8.1 licence so upgraded that on a clean install for my main gaming rig. For the others I just had pirated windows 7 ultimate installed on them made genuine via windows toolkit. These all upgraded perfectly ok to 10 pro and therfore are now all official licences. I don't quite get the upgrade trouble you've been having.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm considering buying a new laptop, but I'm still not quite sure to go for the 980M, or just stick with a 970M. The price difference is 380€, so quite much.

But will the 980M perhaps give me longevity for 1-2 years, whereas I would need to buy a new laptop again, due to the 970M being obsolete earlier?? Then the 380€ extra would of course make sense.

Considering also that the mobile versions of the GPUs are less powerful, a 970M doesn't come close to a 970 desktop version GPU.

Screen is just a FullHD 1920x1080 IPS, so no 4k.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by harrison
    Oh and I didn't have to buy an official 10 pro licence for any of them. I had an 8.1 licence so upgraded that on a clean install for my main gaming rig. For the others I just had pirated windows 7 ultimate installed on them made genuine via windows toolkit. These all upgraded perfectly ok to 10 pro and therfore are now all official licences. I don't quite get the upgrade trouble you've been having.
    The trouble was I only had an OEM license for Windows 7 Pro for my old computer. I could upgrade to Windows 10 Pro on that, no problem. However I could not use that license to activate Windows 10 Pro on the new computer, neither would the old OEM Windows 7 have activated on it, just as it shouldn't. So I was happily surprised when the Windows Activation Helpline guy produced a new license key for me as I didn't expect them to approve an old OEM license for a new computer. And then they did.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is good that they did.

However to save the hassle I just would have installed a cracked copy of 7 with the Windows Toolkit on the new system, then downloaded the Windows 10 Pro ISO from M$ and manually run the upgrade. Hasn't failed me yet. Once upgraded if you then want a completely clean Windows 10 install you can extract the key from the OS and do a format and clean install.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    I'm considering buying a new laptop, but I'm still not quite sure to go for the 980M, or just stick with a 970M. The price difference is 380€, so quite much.

But will the 980M perhaps give me longevity for 1-2 years, whereas I would need to buy a new laptop again, due to the 970M being obsolete earlier?? Then the 380€ extra would of course make sense.

Considering also that the mobile versions of the GPUs are less powerful, a 970M doesn't come close to a 970 desktop version GPU.

Any advice?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    This is actually the first time I've built a water cooled pc. It was easier and more straightforward than I feared, but then I spent some time learning about it before I started.

So it's an i7 Skylake 6700K on an Asus Z170 Deluxe motherboard. 16GB of DDR4 3000MHz RAM and a strix 970 GPU. Also I got one of the new M.2 SSDs which is just crazy fast. 1400/600 MBps read/write speed. Yeah, 1.4 gigabytes per second. With a clean install and nothing in the startup folder the bootup speed is... *what* bootup speed?

I haven't looked much at overclocking yet, just incremented the CPU from 4 to 4.2GHz as a quick test. Didn't even dent the temperature in a stress test which was as expected. I should get 4.5 easy with my cooling, and can probably get close to 5 with some tweaking but I don't intend to push any limits. I go for high specs so the system lasts a while, I used my old one for over seven years and only upgraded the RAM and GPU a couple of times.

As for the 970 GPU, I still don't have a dedicated computer corner in my apartment so I still use my pc only on a TV. Once I've torn down some walls here and rebuilt this place I'll have a proper pc monitor, but for now all I require is 1080p@60Hz. I intend to get a VR headset eventually, and at that point I'll get another 970 and run the two in SLI. I dimensioned the water cooling for three heatsources with that in mind, right now it's only cooling the CPU and the one GPU.
    Nice rig, though 60Hz on your TV screen isn't getting the best from the 970. Get yourself a G-Sync capable monitor when you have knocked walls down etc. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    The 970 GPU is brilliant for the price. It's what I upgraded to last year and it's a great upgrade. I posted the upgrade test results somewhere at the time. It tripled the performance in most games and some games like Dirt 3 actually hit an upper FPS limit which is mad. <snip>
    Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    I know you went to the Dark side recently acquiring an nVidia card, but it would be better to say what you were comparing it with to be 3 times faster in games.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post

If you must have gaming potential on a Laptop, spend as much as you can afford & leave it at that. Perhaps you could search for benchmark comparisons between the 980M, 980, 970M & 970 for a true evaluation, or.... Say f'k it & throw the extra 380 Euro at it to be as fast as you can be on a flip screen box.

How about an MSI Laptop with GTX980M in SLI?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/184-...8gb-gtx-980m-s

Here's the direct video link....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_V0q4ixEU8

Last edited by Kin Hell; 6th March 2016 at 11:32.