I was considering buying a new laptop, and my choice fell on the Schenker XMG P705. It will basically for gaming.

The P705 model got very good reviews, and the little brother, the P505, which is basically the same, only in 15", ranks 1st on Notebookcheck's lightweight mobile gaming list of May 2015, which is updated everytime they review a new laptop.

I'm following their laptops since some years now, and I like the fact that you can configure them to your liking. I never was really a big fan of their Clevo based chassis, but I have to say that I like the new model of the PRO versions. It's ligther and lower compared to other gaming laptops, 3,2kg and only 30mm in height. But because of that, the configuration is a bit limited, the motherboard doesn't have a socket for the CPU, therefore you have to go with the only CPU available (the HQ model), which is soldered to the mobo.

The only CPU you can get for it is the Intel Core i7-4720HQ (2,60 - 3,60GHz 6MB 47W), it's the 4th generation of their CPUs called Haswell.

For the GPU you can chose between the newest NVIDIA GeForce GTX (965M, 970M, 980M), where I would put the 970M, price is only 135€ more than the 965M, but already about 30% more power. Plus it comes with a code to download The Witcher 3, which is a nice addition anyway. The price for the 980M is 417€, which is definitely too much.

As HDD I would put a 250GB SSD, and they have a special offer, if you buy an SDD from Crucial, you get a discount of 100€, but only until tomorrow evening, thus I have to decide fast. As second HDD I will just put a WD Blue slim (5.400RPM). Btw, this laptop can hold 2 SDD plus 2 HDD, but I don't need that, using an external drive with my stuff anyway, so it's not needed.

The screen seems to be good, it's a non glare 17.3" Full HD (1920×1080) CHIMEI N173HGE-L11, although not an IPS, but apperently this exact screen is used by a lot of companies. They have an option for the LG LP173WF4-SPD1, which is an IPS, has better color, but less good contrast and black level, plus it's 125€ more expensive. The CHIMEI has also a matte surface, which is less affected by reflections.

For Wi-Fi you can have dual band plus bluetooth, but again because of the slimmer case, there is no place for a DVD/BD drive, which I don't need anyway.

Which is nice for me, you get to chose the layout of the keyboard, and as we use swiss/french layouts in Luxembourg, it's way more comfortable than having a german one.

With RAM I'm bit puzzled, whether to get 16GB, or just stick with 8GB, which will probably be enough for gaming. Although the price difference is only 90€. RAM is also from Crucial.

With that configuration it would cost me around 1.850€ (with 8GB RAM), which is in my opinion a good price for these specs, I checked, like always, Alienware, and they are still far more expensive, and other brands are not configurable at all. Shipping will be almost 60€, which is quite steep, but I also will get the 100€ off, so at the moment it would cost 1.810€ (8GB version), and I don't want to spent more than 2.000€.

Bigger SSD (500GB) is f.ex. 122€ more, do I need it? IPS screen? 8GB or 16GB? There's not so much to change anyway.

So what do you think? Any opinions?