Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Laptop

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Personally for a laptop any of the GPUs you have mentioned should run all current games at 1080 resolution without any issues so really no point spending a lot more than needed.
    At the moment, definitely yes, but how does it look in 2-3 years? Will then the 980 have a noticeable advantage over the 970?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As is always the case, in 2-3 years time I think the GPU technology and games will have moved on another generation as we are currently at a development point that should see something new very soon which pushes performance forward again, so whatever you get now will start to struggle for new releases in 3 years time. Saying that, sticking with a 1080 resolution current GPUs should IMO manage to cope because development is definitely looking towards 4k for the future of gaming, plus multi-display for games such as racing.

It depends what you want to play most. If you are going to be running a lot of FPSers then the best current GPU you can buy will be best for future proofing. If however you will mostly be playing RPGs, Strategy and Adventure games, plus some emulation, then that isn't so important.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I noticed something else at Notebookguru, you can still chose the CPU.

As I mentioned before, Schenker has the i7-4720HQ (2.6 - 3.6GHz), but Notebookguru also still has the previous model, the i7-4710HQ (2.5 - 3.5GHz), which was used in most laptops before, and it's 80€ less expensive. Both use turbo boost technology, and in comparison they are almost the same.

Another 80€ saved?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AFAIK both CPUs are the same, except the more expensive one is clocked 0.1GHz faster, which isn't anything you would ever notice. So definitely go for the cheaper one if possible. Clocked slightly slower, it will also run that little bit cooler, which is always good for a laptop.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ DC

Harrison is right about your Graphical needs on this Laptop in every way really.

In Mr. AK47 terms, if your not FPS-ing it, don't waste 400 Euro on the 980 upgrade. The 970 option you were hankering for from the start should keep you going for 3 years+ on RPG. To be fair, the IPS option might suit your line of use better. Can you get to see some RPG stuff in action on one of these Lappys with IPS display installed?
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually I would order it online, thus I cannot see the panel in action. The site which has the laptop for a lot cheaper, doesn't have the IPS panel option, so I cannot not get it anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ DC

Ah, I see.... - Bit of a shame really for such a small amount extra.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used a Lenovo z50, it works well

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might change my plan.

Really want to play titles like Project Cars, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Witcher 3 or GTA V, which are not really PC games. Most of the time, if I play games on the PC, it's indie games, which my PC at work can run without a problem. So what would be the benefit of getting those for the PC? I would prefer to play them on my 108" screen with 5.1 B&W sound-system, rather than playing them on a 17" laptop. So the choice of buying a PS4 would be wiser, also considering it's 1/4 of the price only.

Like I also mentioned before, I have still tons of games to play on the Vita, plus with the new Sky3DS card, I have now access to the whole 3DS catalog. And it's far easier to play with these handhelds at work than having a laptop on the desk. Plus I can still play my indie titles on the PC if I want, which I really enjoy, and I think lately some quite good stuff has been released.

It's true, I can't play Pillars of Eternity or Elite Dangerous to name a few, but there's so much other stuff. Probably Pillars of Eternity would even run on my PC at home.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I eventually took a decision one week ago, and I ended up buying a white PS4 with 2 controllers, and straight away a bunch of games, I had a bigger budget anyway.

Yesterday I then started playing The Witcher 3, and so far I think it's a great game, although I'm only 3-4 hours into it.

On my PC at work I installed Pillars of Eternity, and it runs almost flawlessly, so I can enjoy playing that too. If you ALT-TAB out of the game, it pauses the game automatically, thus you don't have music or dialogue running in the background when you're back to the desktop, but instead it's silent, quite perfect to play at work at any given time