2 weeks ago, I had the idea to go through my biggest sets, and perhaps delete stuff inside which I don't really need. Some sets like PSX, DC, GC or XBox are quite big in size, and often there's duplicate games, so I decided to keep f.ex. only the console exclusive games. I also decided to delete everything that I don't like and everything that got quite bad reviews, for most of the time I was using Metacritic as a database, otherwise Google. If a game scored 55/100, I just deleted it.

As I already deleted Japanese or other Asian sets, I started to merge the EU sets with the US sets, and then started deleting the duplicates, which there's tons of. Only some games are US or EU only, and most of these are kiddie games anyway like Hello Kitty, Barbie, Ben Ten or such.

I finished my whole shrinking operation just now, and I was quite amazed how much space I created by doing this. I will give you a summary of what I did. PS3 games were already shrunk some months ago, from 300 to 200 games approximately, saving a bit over 2TB.

I even started with the N64 set, not because it takes a lot of space, but because most of the games come in 3-10 different versions. So I shrunk the set from 1582 files to only 316 files, but saving only 15GB of space.

So here's the results, the operation took me 2 weeks, 4-5 hours a day. Because I had to go through almost every single game to see what it was, and there were thousands. But I quite enjoyed it, and now I actually know a lot more games than before

Dreamcast: From 248GB to 100GB, saving 148GB
Gamecube: From 667GB to 72GB, saving 595GB
PSP: From 386GB to 154GB, saving 232GB
PSX: From 479GB to 97GB, saving 382GB
XBox: From 1.2TB to 150GB, saving 1.050GB

For the Wii, I didn't have a complete set, but I went through it nonetheless, from 247GB to 169GB, saving 78GB eventually.

So in total I saved almost 2.5TB of space! My NAS is now back again to "only" 65% full.