Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any decent sci fi-ish FPS games around?

Hey all, Ghost dropping by again.
    Hope none of you had given up on me ever showing myself here again.

After having finished Return to Castle Wolfenstein I am really in the mood for a decent sci-fi ish FPS game again, but unfortunate I have played all the best known ones such as its sequel Wolfenstein 2009, Jedi Knight Outcast and Academy, Elite Force 1 and 2, DSN The Fallen, Singularity, Half Life games (of course), Doom 3 and expansion, Quake 4, and even FPS like games such as Deus Ex, Invisible War, Human Revolution, The Fall.

Are there any decent FPS games I may have overlooked that are worth playing?
    Please don't recommend Wolfenstein The New Order, for personal reasons I don't like that game but I do intend to play its stand alone expansion pack The Old Blood.

I also have Far Cry Blood Dragon but I don't want Uplay on my PC.

Oh and just in case, yes, I have played all the Mass Effect games, Dead Space 1, Aliens Colonial Marines (Alien Isolation but that is not really a FPS).

Hope people have some recommendations.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Star Trek Elite Forces 1 and 2. Great games.

Borderlands
    Crisis series
    Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
    System Shock 2
    Bioshock series
    Prey
    Red Faction series
    Chronicles of Riddick

Or more RPG orientated, have you ever played the Knights of the Old Republic games? IMO a couple of the best games ever made.

Playstation exclusives include Killzone and Resistance series.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Crack Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and play it, it's bloody brilliant!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Dave

>Borderlands

Played 1, its DLCs, and the start of B2.
    I liked parts of B1 but after a while of playing B2 I realized that the particular gameplay was not really my taste. I also did not really enjoy the humor.

>Crisis series
    Can't play 1 because of Securom. I bought 2 in advance for a Star Trek FPS mod that got cancelled. On its own I found it rather average and not really engaging.

>Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
    Got that one and played it to the finish. Not bad but not a fan of the Warhammer 40K universe.

>System Shock 2
    Got that one back when it was released. Pretty fun game at the time but I have come to enjoy Deus Ex more.

>Bioshock series
    I got Bioshock 1 back when it was advertised as a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2. But I found the gameplay rather repetitive and boring and I found the storyline somewhat pretentious to be honest.
    The writers seem to love to bring up questions on society, merits of exceptional individuals, and so on, but I got the feeling that a lot of it was just dress up to make the game world feel more complex than it really was.

>Prey
    Okay, never played that one but I don't think its on Steam any more.

>Red Faction series
    Played all three but I found them somewhat boring after a while. I understand they finally removed GFWL from Faction 2.

>Chronicles of Riddick
    Tried it, not really my game. The second one also comes with this nasty DRM.

>Or more RPG orientated, have you ever played the Knights of the Old Republic games? IMO a couple of the best games ever made.
    Yep, played both with two in general being my favourite. I installed the patch that put back in all the cut content as well as new places and quests.
    A damn shame they made SWTOR instead of a KOTOR3 as I found TOR's storyline rather average.
    Basically it copies the classic trilogy and the writers even ripped off KOTOR2 after just plain copying Darth Nihilus. Basically the Sith Emperor is Palpatine and Nihilus combined.

>Playstation exclusives include Killzone and Resistance series.
    I found Killzone really overdone on 'the evils of war' and everything that has to do with that.
    Played all the Resistance games actually with the exception of Burning Skies as I don't have a Vita.

Teho

>Crack Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and play it, it's bloody brilliant!
    I liked what I saw when I played a cracked copy but I got rather worried when I closed the game and I got a message that it had tried to link up to some kind of network.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's odd. I used a crack for it myself as I have similar issues with uplay, and also used a crack with the original Far Cry 3 and other ubisoft games for the same reason. Can't recall having any problems except not having access to online features. Should be fine.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What issues do you have with uPlay? Other than it being annoying and complete rubbish (impossible to navigate etc). Works fine for me to launch actual games out of necessity.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Dave,

I just don't want anymore of such kind of programs in which basically other computers get to determine if you are allowed to play a video game or not.
    Have been hearing several times now that people stopped having access to software they legitimately bought because some flag was raised on Uplay that made it think their game was an illegitimate copy.

Steam is a necessary evil and fortunately works out

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by harrison
    What issues do you have with uPlay? Other than it being annoying and complete rubbish (impossible to navigate etc).
    Partially answered your own question there. But it's not actually uPlay in itself, it's Ubisoft and the way they keep treating their customers like criminals by enforcing drm schemes that have gotten more and more draconian over the years, including sneak-installing spyware and the like on your computer. I've just come to particularily despise Ubisoft and their policies. And then they introduced uPlay, a broken piece of garbage that I'm supposed to register my name and e-mail with and have all my activities logged in order for them to allow me to use the product I bought from them. And I'm supposed to entrust those ****ers with that information? The company that absolutely does not respect you and your privacy at all? It just boiled over for me and I just refuse to use it. Childish I suppose, but there you have it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find the Uplay discussion very interesting so feel free to talk about it but I would also like to ask people here if they have any recommendation for Science Fiction themed First Person Shooters I have perhaps missed and might enjoy.